Hi from NYC!

Johannala

Hi, everyone! My name is Johanna, hailing from the Upper West Side of Manhattan! I recently decided that I wanted to renovate a dollhouse after I ran out of places to decorate in my very tiny (but not quite miniature) apartment. I've actually always loved dollhouses and miniatures in general. I was constantly making dioramas and creating pseudo dollhouses in my cupboards.  I frequently visited the Minature Museum at the Nassau County Museum of Art as a kid and was always taken by the incredible creations.

And whilst I did have a fairly impressive Playmobil dollhouse as a kid (and clearly remember my parents making it out to be a very big deal), I couldn't help but want a REAL wooden house like my neighbor Dara had! 

So here I am now, at 29 — it's time for my dollhouse! I have spent the past 4 days lurking around this lovely forum, trying to figure out what style I want to work with. I've been scanning Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace to see if I can rescue a blast-from-the-past, but I haven't found "the one" just yet. I'll keep you posted!

So excited to learn from all of you. I'm blown away by your talents! 

Welcome to the little family, Johanna.  If the bug is biting you that hard, perhaps you ought to go all out and build a kit.  They are very chatty, and I have even had them call out to me from the box, "Build me!"

• Like 1

Hi Johanna! :wave: And welcome!

I do rehabs...and believe me, they are just as "chatty" as a new build!  LOL  I certainly enjoy the challenge of a rehab, and love the idea of giving a tired old house some new life.   :)   Rehabs and new builds each have their own skill set, and I am sure that you will decide which is the best way to go for your first endeavor.  But I will warn you....have you ever seen the Mel Gibson movie "What Women Want" where he hears what every woman is thinking?  Well, being a miniaturist is kinda like that- once you "hear" your first dollhouse talking, you will hear them ALL talking! (and begging, and grumping, and sulking, and whining, and demanding....)  

LOL  Have fun!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johannala said:

Hi, everyone! My name is Johanna, hailing from the Upper West Side of Manhattan! I recently decided that I wanted to renovate a dollhouse after I ran out of places to decorate in my very tiny (but not quite miniature) apartment...

Hello Joanna! I'm relatively new here too, building my first kit. Before I even got it dry built I found a fixer-upper on Nextdoor! I am glad I got the kit though as it has taught me a lot, including patience :)  Dollhouses are a great way to practice several skills: woodworking (trust me, you'll soon want to build your own furniture, or modify the style of your house), interior decorating, artistic painting, sewing and everything else in between. 

A word of warning, this hobby can take up a lot of space - and money! However, there are ways to be frugal: I trawl my local goodwill for 'stuff' I can use (as do many others here). My two cents worth is do a lot of research, soon you'll have a handy list of your basic needs - bulk buy glue and masking tape :) - a good craft knife and sanding paper!  See if you can get a cheap kit on Ebay, or Craigslist or a very cheap house that you can 'practice' on - and start from there. Good luck and please let us know of your progress.

P.s. If you do get a kit from the above sources rather than a dealer, ask if it is complete, they can be quite overwhelming without there being pieces missing. Instructions can usually be sourced though.

• Like 1

Welcome Johanna!

Have you been to Manhattan dollhouse? http://manhattandollhouse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=2&zenid=a944ad19f94956f6e095fc0b67822d26

I always drool over their website, and if I ever make it to NYC, it is on my places to see list.

1 hour ago, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome Johanna!

Have you been to Manhattan dollhouse? http://manhattandollhouse.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=2&zenid=a944ad19f94956f6e095fc0b67822d26

I always drool over their website, and if I ever make it to NYC, it is on my places to see list.

Their brick and mortar shop is closed now! (The city is just one giant CVS and Chase bank at this point, unfortunately). I know some really awesome stores in New Jersey though that I will definitely be checking out soon!

• Like 1

When I lived close to Manhattan in a small apartment I purchased a Walmer Old Town which is now known as Real Good Toys Cranberry Cove. It’s a medium sized house which fits easily in any room. Mine is on a dining room buffet table. The only difference with the RGT version is the dormer in the mansard roof. Here is the link to it:

https://www.realgoodtoys.com/collections/1-inch-scale-design-families-lilliput-dollhouses/products/lilliput-cranberry-cove-dollhouse-kit-smooth-plywood

Here is how I transformed it to look like a city house:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101097

7 hours ago, Sable said:

When I lived close to Manhattan in a small apartment I purchased a Walmer Old Town which is now known as Real Good Toys Cranberry Cove. It’s a medium sized house which fits easily in any room. Mine is on a dining room buffet table. The only difference with the RGT version is the dormer in the mansard roof. Here is the link to it:

https://www.realgoodtoys.com/collections/1-inch-scale-design-families-lilliput-dollhouses/products/lilliput-cranberry-cove-dollhouse-kit-smooth-plywood

Here is how I transformed it to look like a city house:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101097

What a wonderful transformation! I just love the built-ins around the fireplace!

I should be doing something small, but of course, everything that's really speaking to me is gigantic and ridiculously inappropriate. Luckily I won't be working on the actual house in my tiny apartment. My mom is letting me work on it in her suburban spare room. With Summer on its way (and the city smelling increasingly like urine and hot garbage), I think i'll be spending a lot of time out there! 

WELCOME to the gallery and forum.  It will be so fun.  I have built kits but always end up changing them.  I am terrible at kits.  But I have learned a lot here and been encouraged and inspired whether in 1:12 or 1:6.  Yes....playscale!  But everyone here is encouraging.  Please share your build and ideas with us.