6 posts in this topic

Any tips for dismantling a dollhouse put together with hot glue? I don’t want to take apart the whole thing as it’s very stable. It was assembled 25 years ago and is holding together really well, I want to re-do the windows and put on siding so I just want to remove windows, trim and porch railings. I’m nervous to use a hairdryer in case I loosen things I want to keep intact. Anyone with experience taking hot glued dollhouses apart?

A hair dryer or heat gun is your best bet, and gently pry apart with a putty knife.  Anything you may accidently loosen up may be re-glued with a proper wood glue or quick-grip glue. 

If I am not in a hurry to do a hot-glued rehab, I will just put it in my attic during the summer months and that will generally do the trick!  LOL  

Have fun with your project!  :)

I put mine in the sun for a few hours and it soon fell apart on its own. I would try the blow dryer for spot loosening. Don’t be nervous :) 

Oh, heck, I just turn on the heat gun, grab the putty knife and take the whole darned thing apart and rebuild it all over again, making new windows and doors and merrily bashing it along the way.

2 people like this

The hair dryer might be less likely to destroy the plastic inserts in the windows.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Beacon Hill Christmas Gift
      By JennyBuilds
      Hi everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! I have read the instructions thoroughly, as well as the warm up sheet, but I am having issues differentiating which pieces are which!! They are unlabeled. Am I supposed to remove everything from the box and label? This was specifically prohibited in the instructions I read as it said to remove and use IN ORDER, but I am unclear how in step A I am supposed to locate foundation back (1) and bottom support (27)!! SEND HELP!!
    • New Member Intro- 70 year old reno
      By Speedykiki
      Hi all. I’m new here and thought I would introduce myself. I have no experience but purchased my mother’s custom dollhouse years ago at their auction. The dollhouse is almost one of a kind. Her sister received an identical dollhouse the same year- about 1947 or so, they don’t recall exactly. I am ready to renovate it and hopefully one day have grandchildren of my own to play with it.
      looking for all advice you have- should I do electricity? It currently has no doors or windows and the back is unfinished. Should I cut those in and finish the backside? I want it to be played with- touched, not just to look at.
      Thank you!

• Hello from Rhode Island
      By LittleHouse
      Hello! I'm new here.  Some things about  me:
      I have always loved miniatures.  As a child, I had a large Ginny doll collection, a treasured dollhouse baby from Germany, and lots of little plastic dolls from the dime store.  When I learned to read, “The Raggetty Paggetty Dollhouse” and The Borrowers were favorites. This is my first dollhouse. I’ve come close to buying one many times, but nothing was ever quite right.  Then I saw The Fairfield! It was love at first sight. I like the way its rooms are at angles and not just a set of boxes lined up in a row.
      I’ve already been browsing the posts of Fairfield builders on the forums. I love the suggestions and advice and seeing all the different ways of doing things.  So far I’ve made the base and the staircase and done LOTS of dry fitting.  I hope to use what I’ve read to make my first dollhouse a good one, but I hesitate to take a step that can't be undone!  Sometimes I think: Hmmmnm there may be something to be said for those houses that look like a set of boxes lined up in a row ;-) 
      Linda
    • Hello from Orlando, FL
      By petiteprovisionsco
      Hello, everyone! My name is Erika and I'm a miniaturist living in Orlando, FL. I've been making miniatures for about two years now (I specialize in food and home/holiday decor), but I just acquired my first dollhouse (a fixer upper) and thought this would be the perfect place to learn and share throughout the process of rehabbing it.
      When I'm able to post photos, I may need the benefit of your collective wisdom to help me identify the house. I purchased it off Facebook marketplace from someone who didn't really know anything about it. Based on the instructions and printed materials that came with it, I'm estimating that it's from the 1970s. It appears to be a Real Good Toys model called Fox Hollow, but my research on that name didn't turn up much of anything useful.
      Anyhow, it needs quite a bit of work, but I'm really excited about the prospect. I'm planning to start my renovations on the exterior before moving inside. It needs repainting - especially the porch, which is blue and not really the look I'm going for - and the clapboard siding is warped in several places, so I'm not sure if I'm going to replace it all or just try to fix the sections that are damaged.
      I've been reading quite a bit here in the forums over the past week or so and am looking forward to learning more from all of you!
      Best,
      Erika
    • My first dollhouse AND rehab
      By allucht03
      Hello all! I picked up this "less than beautiful" dollhouse for $65 and am redoing it. Any suggestions on what to do design wise? Craft wise? Technique wise? This is my first dollhouse and I want to make the effort as painless as possible! 
      P.S, if anyone knows what the name/manufacturer of this dollhouse is, that'd be great! I believe it's a kit, because it has pegs/holes for many of the pieces that go together.