eBay sellers - how to offer free international shipping?

fov

I'm selling something on eBay for the first time. It's an item I'm auctioning off for charity (not a mini). I want to offer free worldwide shipping and there's an option for offering free shipping within the US, but the same option doesn't appear for international. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I just set a fixed price of $0.00 for international shipping? I want it to be obvious that shipping is free because I think that will be a perk to encourage people to bid.

This is what I'm seeing:

5aece63cbe939_ScreenShot2018-05-04at4.00

Emily I think the only option for free international shipping is to put $0.00 as the cost - it should show up as free shipping. As a new seller, I'm not sure you can offer international shipping before a certain amount of transactions but I could be wrong.

Tip, use as many key words as the character limit allows. I have a lot of experience selling on ebay (not minis) if you have any other questions let me know :). Also, I think we're a multicultural bunch so if any intl buyers ask questions in a foreign language maybe someone here can translate.

Have you checked how much actual shipping would cost? It can be expensive. Good luck

Thanks for your answer. I don't see anything that says "calculate shipping".

Initially my only option was US shipping. Underneath the shipping there's a listings preferences area, where I clicked the "change" link, and then it gave me options to change my PayPal address, change the handling time, and a few other things including a checkbox for "Enable more options: Add the ability to see more shipping and pricing options such as: international shipping, scheduled listings, duration, reserve price, quantity, charity and offer preferences."

I checked this off and then when I went back to the main page there was an option to add international shipping, like you can see in my screenshot, but as far as I can tell there's no option for free international shipping. This is my first time selling anything so maybe you're right that it isn't available to me as a new seller.

I know international shipping could be pricey but in this case I don't mind eating the shipping. My hope is that by making the shipping free people will be more willing to bid which will drive up the price. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to a charity I care about, so the more interest I can generate the better. :)

Free shipping is always attractive :) A low starting price is another pull. but it has to be an item many people will be looking for (i.e a collector Barbie or a big brand item etc., )If you want a minimum price you can always put a reserve price in place. If the charity is one who is registered with Ebay there is an option for donation which will generate a ribbon badge beside your item. Don't forget, make your listing as complete and accurate as possible (post measurements if appropriate) once the bidding starts there is a restriction to what you can change in your listing.

it is fine work Emily, I love the clown. I've taken the liberty to bring this listing to the notice of the Thimbleweed Park Facebook page... Hope you don't mind (should've asked first :-/ )

Oh thank you! I actually worked on the game (I do video game PR as my day job) so I've had some social media support from them already, but I don't think it was posted on Facebook yet.

Some forumers may remember I made a baby afghan for a friend a couple of years ago, so this is my second time making an afghan, but it was a lot more work because I created all the charts. I worked on this for a year and my eyes got used to the bigger fabric (it's stitched over one on 18 count) -- going back to petitpoint has been a challenge! But on the plus side, I've gotten pretty good at converting images to cross stitch charts, so I might create some in mini now.

2 hours ago, fov said:

Oh thank you! I actually worked on the game (I do video game PR as my day job) so I've had some social media support from them already, but I don't think it was posted on Facebook yet.

Some forumers may remember I made a baby afghan for a friend a couple of years ago, so this is my second time making an afghan, but it was a lot more work because I created all the charts. I worked on this for a year and my eyes got used to the bigger fabric (it's stitched over one on 18 count) -- going back to petitpoint has been a challenge! But on the plus side, I've gotten pretty good at converting images to cross stitch charts, so I might create some in mini now.

Ha! They knew about it already Emily and have posted it on their blog :) As a mother of three gamers I thank you for doing this :)

It sold for $1787! I'm overwhelmed!

PayPal put a hold on the payment, I guess because I don't have an established selling history, and the listing fee was deducted, which it wasn't supposed to be since 100% of the proceeds are being donated to charity. Maybe it will straighten itself out but it makes me a little nervous because there's no indication on my PayPal account that this was a charity auction. I think what's supposed to happen is that I get the money, and then a few weeks later the money gets taken back from me and sent to the charity. But what if that happens before PayPal decides to release the hold? And what about the fee that wasn't supposed to be deducted?

I'm waiting for a phone call from eBay support so I can ask these questions. It's odd that they don't have an option for email support, just phone.

Now I'm antsy about mailing it because the buyer is in Europe. I'll be on edge until I hear that it's arrived safely!

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I'm getting the runaround from eBay and PayPal. eBay did waive their fees as they said they would, but PayPal has deducted the standard % for an overseas payment, which was hefty since the price was so high. But as far as I can tell, the full amount will be going to the charity (including the amount deducted for the transaction fee AND the shipping cost) - so I'm going to be out $100+ for an auction where I collected no money. Maybe I should have foreseen it, but in everything I read about this when I was setting it up, the issue of PayPal fees was never specified. It seems like a no-brainer that the charity donation should be the net and not the gross amount.

I'm still trying to chase down answers from PayPal but the really disappointing thing is that the customer service reps I've spoken to have no idea how to answer the questions. PayPal flat out told me that the PayPal Giving Fund has nothing to do with eBay for Charity, in spite of the eBay for Charity FAQ stating in the first sentence that donations are facilitated through the PayPal Giving Fund. I have a real pet peeve for bad customer service, so this really put a dent in my enthusiasm about the whole thing. :(

I'm still really happy that it got so much interest and am glad to be making the donation, but talk about nickel and diming people who are trying to do a good thing!

23 minutes ago, fov said:

Thanks everyone! Unfortunately I'm getting the runaround from eBay and PayPal. eBay did waive their fees as they said they would, but PayPal has deducted the standard % for an overseas payment, which was hefty since the price was so high. But as far as I can tell, the full amount will be going to the charity (including the amount deducted for the transaction fee AND the shipping cost) - so I'm going to be out $100+ for an auction where I collected no money. Maybe I should have foreseen it, but in everything I read about this when I was setting it up, the issue of PayPal fees was never specified. It seems like a no-brainer that the charity donation should be the net and not the gross amount.

I'm still trying to chase down answers from PayPal but the really disappointing thing is that the customer service reps I've spoken to have no idea how to answer the questions. PayPal flat out told me that the PayPal Giving Fund has nothing to do with eBay for Charity, in spite of the eBay for Charity FAQ stating in the first sentence that donations are facilitated through the PayPal Giving Fund. I have a real pet peeve for bad customer service, so this really put a dent in my enthusiasm about the whole thing. :(

I'm still really happy that it got so much interest and am glad to be making the donation, but talk about nickel and diming people who are trying to do a good thing!

That's not right!! You have to kick up a fuss, it's not right that you should have to pay fees when you are giving 100% to charity. If you don't get satisfaction from PayPal (keep on at them till you get an explanation). Otherwise, you could contact the charity and explain the situation, I'm sure they would happily reimburse the fees you paid. That really sucks!