Dollhouse windows and adhesive

Ricocha

I am having trouble with window material adhering to wood well and cloth to window material. I have tried gluing gluing the window material (.017") over both straight and curved surfaces and  it barely holds, coming unglued with very little or no pressure. I have used Original Tacky glue and Yes paste with no success. I have also tried CA but that makes a mess of the window material and it cannot be cleaned.

What type of material (film) is commonly used for window material and what is the best adhesive to use, preferably something that cleans up easily? No adhesive comes with the kit so I am left to experimenting. Loving this new hobby.

By "window material" are you referring to the clear acetate inserts?  I use Elmer's all-purpose white glue in a very thin bead to hold the acetate to the "wrong" side of the window frame (after I have sanded, filled, sanded, primed and painted or stained the frame.  Then I use a good carpenter's wood glue to adhere the window frame to the wall.  I leave the surfaces I'm going to glue together unpainted so the glue will adhere better.  I'm going to request that a mod move this topic to the General Information Forum.

14 minutes ago, SewMini said:

What about something a bit thicker like liquid nails?

I think Liquid Nails would also damage the windows. It melts polystyrene. I agree with Holly, try the Elmer’s and let it dry for 24 hours.

Im surprised to hear that youre having a hard time with tacky glue holding the window in place. It does take awhile, so you have to be patient, but that should work. Are your windows real glass, plexiglass or the thin window film? Ive used all three materials for windows and never used anything but tacky glue. I dont like YES glue. Try gluing then taping the window to hold it in place until it dries. Use masking tape.

Fabric...what fabric are you using? Synthetics dont glue well at all. We could probably find a better way than gluing fabric to windows. If you could describe more what your goal is maybe we could suggest a few alternatives.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

If you could describe more what your goal is maybe we could suggest a few alternatives.

If you could post any photos, that would also help.

I've included a picture of a completed model and the progress on my model. My dilemma is what is the preferred type of glue to use where since dollhouses require several different materials. My previous hobbies of wood scale model ship building from scratch and model railroading only required wood glue,  CA glue, and Model Master glue for ABS plastic. I am currently using YES paste and Original Tack Glue which are new to me. The YES paste primarily for wallpaper and Original Tacky for wood to wood. For the window film I have tried both with poor results. If someone could give me pointers, point me to a post or youtube video, that might help me understand what adhesive to use where, It would be a big help. Thanks much for your responses.

combined.jpg

Hi Rick, wood or tacky glue didn't work for me either. I bought this one, works perfectly http://www.michaels.com/beadalon-gs-hypo-cement/10332390.html?cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_National_PLA_Shopping_Null_Null_Beads+and+Jewelry_RLSA-_-beads-and-jewelry-tools-RLSA&gclid=CjwKCAjw8r_XBRBkEiwAjWGLlNVRRXdjkjmiHrdVSzD0PspnPMensKZ3viFpXInsZOqFk76_YFHrERoC70EQAvD_BwE I like it because it works better than krazy glue for the acetate windows and also because the applicator is like a tiny syringe with a thin wire in the cap to insert into the syringe to prevent clogging. It's a bit fiddly - and probably expensive but it has served me well. I too seem to have to buy a different glue for each part of my project :/ but I mostly use wood glue or tacky. I haven't tried it with cloth, so I can't help with that.

Ricocha.  Love those little houses.  Someday I want to tackle one, when I get my nerve up that is.  Yours looks wonderful.  As for adhesive, I used contact adhesive on mine but you can only use a little and if it gets on the window it ruins it so you have to be really careful.

Sable: You have made a believer out of me regarding using a fixative on my wallpaper. I gave a wall covering a test application before pasting it to the wall and was pleased with how much easier it was to keep the wallpaper clean. I have now sprayed all of the remaining wallpaper. Thanks again and if you have any additional user tips that will help me improve the construction of my unit, please pass them on. I will be pleased to put them to good use.

5 minutes ago, Ricocha said:

Sable: You have made a believer out of me regarding using a fixative on my wallpaper. I gave a wall covering a test application before pasting it to the wall and was pleased with how much easier it was to keep the wallpaper clean. I have now sprayed all of the remaining wallpaper. Thanks again and if you have any additional user tips that will help me improve the construction of my unit, please pass them on. I will be pleased to put them to good use.

What exactly is a fixative ?

Good morning Kathy. In my case, a workable fixative is used on my completed graphite drawings to protect them from smearing. The fact that it is workable means that I can accomplish any necessary touchup to the drawing even after the fixative has been applied. As I responded to Sable's post, I am now definitely a believer in its use on my dollhouse wallpaper.