Applying Wallpaper

Ricocha

I believe that I read somewhere in this forum (or in a blog) that it is best to spray a fixative on your wallpaper for protection prior to installing it. Can someone please enlighten me on the subject. If the statement is good, will a workable fixative be OK? I use workable fixatives with my graphite art and it would be nice if that was acceptable. While it is too late for my first dollhouse, I am looking for acceptable practices for my future projects. This forum is a terrific source of information and a blessing to newbies in this hobby.

Fixative?  I test what I'm using to see how it interacts with wallpaper paste (I apply dollhouse wall coverings with premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store) and if it seems to need it I give it a couple of light spray coats of the matte sealer I use for pastels.  I never used a fixative on RL wallpaper I hung in my 1:1 houses.

Thank you Sable. I will definitely try my fixative on the second story of my dollhouse wallpaper. I apologize if my reply post implied that I did not trust your judgement. I worded it poorly.

Next time, I am going to try what Sable suggests.  The last time I used Krylon Matte Finish spray and the dollhouse wallpaper is usable, but I do see a few slightly hazy whitish spots when the light hits the paper from different angle (not really sure how to describe it).  Lots of furniture will cover or make less noticeable the problem spots.  I probably sprayed it on unevenly, but hoping that won't happen with the Fixable.  

7 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I never used a fixative on RL wallpaper I hung in my 1:1 houses.

Neither have I since that would be extremely expensive. I’m referring to using it on craft paper or dollhouse paper not commercial wallpaper.

As I recall the first time I wondered if there was a product to protect my paper from my own dirty fingers (I think I was eating pizza while trying to paper, gotta eat sometime), I called our club president and she suggested that I use it. Been using it ever since.

7 hours ago, Ricocha said:

I apologize if my reply post implied that I did not trust your judgement. I worded it poorly.

My apologies if I sounded snippy. Note to self: never respond to posts after finding black mold behind kitchen cabinets.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sable said:

My apologies if I sounded snippy. Note to self: never respond to posts after finding black mold behind kitchen cabinets.

Or before having first cup of coffee.