alternate lighting

So I haven't been on here in a while, but I HAVE been working on my dollhouses. My Beetlejuice dollhouse has been very demanding lately. I recently added a strand of tiny lights to the ceiling in the attic, to resemble the little lights that hang above Adam's model town in the movie.

I was just wondering if any of you had incorporated lights into your dollhouses in other ways than the usual wiring systems. 

I made battery operated lights for the Chanticleer and ran tiny wires throughout. This was the first house I planned to add lights to from the beginning. I have been recently playing with making small ones like table lamps from LED earrings for the houses I didn’t electrify. Since I’m working in 1:24, and don’t want to do tape wire there aren’t a lot of options, so I’m making it up as I go along. But I’m finding I can add a few lights here and there for the non-electrified builds and it gives it some added charm. :) 

If the lamps in the house are not electrified, you can add light to the rooms by running a strip of LED lights along the ceiling at the near side of the ceiling. They can easily be hidden by using slightly wider than usual stripwood to finish off the rough edges of the open side of the house. The wires can be hidden by stripwood covering the wall edges. 

This is how many of the houses in the Great American Dollhouse Museum are lighted. It permits visitors to see the contents of the rooms without having the lamps electrified. It's not noticeable. It is daytime, the individual lights wouldn't be turned on, eh? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KathieB said:

If the lamps in the house are not electrified, you can add light to the rooms by running a strip of LED lights along the ceiling at the near side of the ceiling. They can easily be hidden by using slightly wider than usual stripwood to finish off the rough edges of the open side of the house. The wires can be hidden by stripwood covering the wall edges. 

This is how many of the houses in the Great American Dollhouse Museum are lighted. It permits visitors to see the contents of the rooms without having the lamps electrified. It's not noticeable. It is daytime, the individual lights wouldn't be turned on, eh? 

Hmmm, I have a strip of copper wire led lights on a battery pack... might give that a try :)  Thanks Kathie :)