Newbie in MA!

I am a total newbie working on a Beacon Hill.. i am a slow worker but loving every minute. I’m planning to turn it into a Haunted House with a Harry Potter inspired style. I know it is ambitious, but I am attempting to customize the staircase because I simply despise the cookie cutter look of the trim that comes with the kit. I’m sure I will have lots of questions as I progress.. any advice/support is greatly appreciated! I am obsessing over everyone else’s beautiful creations and hoping my skills are up to par one day ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kama227 said:

...customize the staircase because I simply despise the cookie cutter look of the trim that comes with the kit...

I have used the handles of cocktail forks for balusters on stairs.

• Like 1

Hi, Katie, and welcome to the forum! I, too, did not like the look of the Beacon Hill staircase after it was installed. I've ripped it out, purchased balusters and handrails, and now need to put it back together again. You can see my progress here. I've added another layer of challenge by wanting to make the stairway removable. I haven't done anything with it for about 10 months, but in that time I moved from New Orleans to the Atlanta area, just recently got my craft room settled enough to work in there. 

When you have 5 posts, you can start an album here, or if you post photos on line someplace you can link to them so we can share your progress. I'd love to see how you make changes to the staircase. 

• Like 1

Hi Katie :wave:  And welcome!

Looking forward to seeing your Beacon Hill progress.  I, too, never cared much for the kit windows,etc and replaced them whenever I could!  LOL  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fov said:

Welcome, Katie! Where in MA are you? There's a miniature show in Sturbridge at the beginning of June.

I’m in Berkley (near Taunton). I’ll have to check it out! Thx for the info!

Edited by Kama227