What scale for automobiles for the dollhouse.

CraftyGramZ

I am wanting to get a pick up for my dollhouse driveway, (notice I didn't say that 3 letter word (BUY) my husband might be listening,   I looked at the 1:12 ones and they seem so big.  I saw two different ones on the Kathleen Holmes blog and can't tell what scale they are.  The only ones I can find are 1:24 and 1:12.  Does anyone know what scale hers are?  I have to order most things from the net because there is no such thing as miniatures here in my town. I would hate to order one and have it be way to large or way too small.  I have searched everywhere but can't find any mention of scale for them.

36 minutes ago, Samusa said:

1:12 would be the correct scale.. But I have seen people use 1:18 & 1:16 cars in 1:12 settings with careful placement of the items around them.. How big is your driveway? This is my 1:12 Sunstar Morris Minor.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=131321&tab=comments

Wow, I just looked at your car and then the other pics.  The car with the wonderful people looks great and those baskets! I haven't tried to make baskets yet but want to.

37 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

If you aren't going to put little 1:12 people in them I read somewhere that 1:18 would work.

I haven't seen any 1:18 cars.  Will have to go looking some more.  The 1:12 truck I was looking at is 15" long.  My house is only 21" deep and it would be parked alongside. No room in the front or back.  No people in it though. I would like some of the character type people like those that Samusa has by her car.  Really don't want regular doll house type people.  

I have two 1:18 scale cars, and as mentioned above, if you're not trying to put people in them, they are okay. But I have another one, which is actually a sculpture made by an artist in Seattle. He is retired now, but he was at the Seattle Home Show for years. Gorgeous work. But he also made smaller things and I just HAD to have one of his cars!  After I got it home I discovered that my Caco Doll family will just fit inside!  The two kids are in the back, Dad's driving, and Mom's in the passenger seat!

If you put the car in the garage (even partially), you'll want a 1:12 scale car.  You can get by with 1:14 scale, but even 1:16 scale gets out of whack inside.   Outside you can force the perspective of 1:16 scale.  Sadly, even though they are easiest to find and reasonably priced, 1:18 scale models often look too small unless it's just the right proportion to your building.

I have a 1:12 Beetle for the Brownstone and a 1:12 Datsun for the barn since they will be inside the buildings.  Smaller scales just looked off to me otherwise.  I have used 1:14 inside and 1:16 outside.

Here are some blog posts on scale cars and proportion.

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/garage-addition 

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/milo-valley-farm-cars-and 

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/datsun-240zg-part-1 

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/a-new-car-for-the 

http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/1913-model-t-van-completed 

• Like 2

I am slighty obsessed with having a car for with all my houses. I bought this one a few years ago its a 1/12 scale to go with my Foxhall......it took me forever to find one at a reasonable price. It's actually a remote control toy with nice detais.

Resized_2014-08-07_00.27.23.jpeg.3f8ea7b

• Like 1

I think this is an appropriate place to say this. I have found that some kits although designed as 1/12 seem to me to be smaller in reality. I have 4 houses around me at this moment all partly built and only one of them looks right with a 1/12 ceiling light in it so I think they vary. I can't figure it out. I looked at cars for my biggest house and could not find one as I wanted a car from way back when and they just didn't seem to be available in 1/12. I eventually gave up but having read the comments here it may be a good idea  for me to look again and look at other scales. I guess the actual measurements would be useful too. Thank you for the post, it gave me something to think about

On 5/16/2018 at 11:48 PM, Thimble Hall said:

I have found that some kits although designed as 1/12 seem to me to be smaller in reality.

We have discussed this in the past, although I can't recall where just now. Items identified by their manufacturer as a particular scale vary widely. But if you think about it, so do real life items. Think about furniture scaled for apartments vs. that for homes with large rooms. Also consider a Smart Car and a passenger van. When parked beside one another, the effect is jarring. It looks like one has given birth to the other! The issue isn't really what scale something is but how it relates to its surroundings. 

I have a photo of three chairs, each one sold as 1:12. They are very different, Yet in the end, all three fit into Marie Laveau's cottage and look fine, as they are not near one another.  See them here.

It all comes back to smoke and mirrors. 

Edited by Mini Man
Removed broken image link (emoji)