painting sculpey

NellBell

I have a tutorial I'm trying to follow and after I bake round1 I need to paint the tail it says use Genesis paint . Is there an alternative it's $$$ after I paint it I will be adding a very thin layer of transparent sculpey over it and bak again.

23 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I have a tutorial I'm trying to follow and after I bake round1 I need to paint the tail it says use Genesis paint . Is there an alternative it's $$$ after I paint it I will be adding a very thin layer of transparent sculpey over it and bak again.

I see that Genesis is an oil based paint that is set by heat @ $15-20+ per ounce. Ouch. Try regular oil paint or craft paint and see what happens. If it is sealed under a layer of transparent or translucent Sculpey, either one may work okay. Time to experiment.

A lot of doll makers use the Genesis paints for the faces and body blushing; personally I'm not a fan of it for my dolls. I use regular craft paints, metallic acrylic paint and metallic powders for rubber stamps. 

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I have used both acrylic paints and chalk pastels with my polymer clay people.

But you didn't fire them again. Nell wants to bake a layer of transparent Sculpey over the paint. Will it adhere? Change color? Flake off? Be just fine? I'll be interested to hear how her tests pan out.

1 hour ago, Anna said:

Looking forward hearing about how this works, is the translucent layer to get a threedimensional effect, add depth or shine? 

Yes it gives a three dimensional look. After this bake you use a tool to make the scales. I’m going to test today. 

50 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Yes it gives a three dimensional look. After this bake you use a tool to make the scales. I’m going to test today. 

Ah, I am thinking using liquid fimo in thin layer might work too if you need to tweak it al little.