Using real tile, help?

Hello, I am looking for advice on using real tile in my dollhouse bathroom. I purchased a sheet of glass mosaic tiles which i thought i might be able to jse but nlw i am not sure how due to the thickness being out of scale which will be seen on the front edge of the room . I cant raise the floor of the rest of the upatairs to match so to hide it with trim so most likely I would be using on the walls. Anyone have any ideas? 

I'm not sure how I'd go about incorporating the tile in a floor that is also a ceiling. Here is how I did it on the ground floor of my Pierce/Bohemian Inn.

One idea that comes to mind is to assume the bathroom is one step higher than the rest of the rooms on that level. It would mean raising the opening of the door, but that shouldn't be a problem. And a piece of strip wood would finish off the raw edge. I don't think it would be particularly noticeable when complete -- just a part of the architecture.

Exactly what Kathie said, a step at the door and trim in the front will cover it. I have the same issue with my White House. The real marble floor in the bath is 1/4” thicker than the adjacent bedroom floor. I’m going to hide it in the front with “L” trim. I’ll see if I can attach a photo. 

• Like 1

I used mosiac tile in my Victorianna's master bathroom. As others have mentioned, the edge will be covered with trim so the thickness won't be noticeable. I'm using Houseworks doors in this room and I modified the doors so they could swing over the tile. There are details in these two blog posts:

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=11392

http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=11426

Here's a picture where you can see a little bit of the room next to it. With the baseboards in, I don't think it's too obvious that the bathroom floor is higher. Once there's trim on the front, that will create the illusion that the floors are the same height. Also, I didn't do this, but you could put a slightly shorter baseboard in the bathroom (or slightly taller in the other room) so the heights of the baseboards on either side of the wall are the same.

victorianna1148.jpg

(Of course, how much the height difference stands out all depends on how thick the tile is. The one I used was pretty thin.)

• Like 1

My tile is pretty thick. It's 4mm ish so it's a big difference using it on the floor compared to the height of the bedroom floor adjoining it which is veneer. It looks wrong when I tried. I think I can use it on the walls by building up the walls around the tiles so it all looks the same thickness. As in effect the tile would then be set into the new thicker wall. That's the theory anyway. I will have to try it and report back.

I just read that you’ve decided to place it on the wall but I’m adding my photos for any others with the same dilemma. Keep in mind this is a dry fit and the connection between the two trim pieces will be invisible once I glue and spackle it together and paint the wood.

Edit: the photos are in reverse. The second photo is the before. You can see how thick my marble is.

BB058E09-C2C9-4BB7-9E2F-C52770E12541.thu

7EC79942-1C08-4060-8063-B77538879CB2.jpeg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sable said:

I’m adding my photos for any others with the same dilemma. Keep in mind this is a dry fit and the connection between the two trim pieces will be invisible once I glue and spackle it together and paint the wood.

Thank you for posting. That's exactly what I was trying to describe. The difference in the floor level is a smooth transition with the step up, and the strip wood masks the difference perfectly. 

46 minutes ago, Sable said:

I just read that you’ve decided to place it on the wall but I’m adding my photos for any others with the same dilemma. Keep in mind this is a dry fit and the connection between the two trim pieces will be invisible once I glue and spackle it together and paint the wood.

Edit: the photos are in reverse. The second photo is the before. You can see how thick my marble is.

BB058E09-C2C9-4BB7-9E2F-C52770E12541.thu

7EC79942-1C08-4060-8063-B77538879CB2.jpeg

That looks good! I can also see that you have sort of done what I was talking about round the bath area also which looks fab. Perfectly disguises the tile thickness 

I actually faced a similar dilemma in my real house.  When the previous owners removed the carpeting from the upstairs, they left a  huge drop off between the bathroom and the hallway.  I used the quarter round shoe molding to make the step down less obvious.  I wonder if something similar could be done in a dollhouse.

• 5 months later...