Little Texas Dollhouse

Good Morning all! I am a 30 something mother to 3 from Texas and I've always had a fascination for miniatures.  I have two dollhouses in need of some renovation, that I baby when I can.  I am running into a problem when it comes to working on them however, I am not sure where to do so... where do you all work? Should I take over my dining room? Set up a workshop in my walk-in? Clear a space in the garage? I am at a bit of a loss with that.  Look forward to being active here, and on instagram once I get things up and running.  Thanks! 

Hi Patricia, I am in Houston.  What part of Texas are you in?  

I took over my son's bedroom when he flew the coop, but anyplace you have room is a good place to work on a dollhouse.  I think a dining room is a great spot since you probably only eat in the dining room for special occasions.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 1martinimomma said:

Hi Patricia, I am in Houston.  What part of Texas are you in?  

I took over my son's bedroom when he flew the coop, but anyplace you have room is a good place to work on a dollhouse.  I think a dining room is a great spot since you probably only eat in the dining room for special occasions.

Hey, I am in Austin.  We have family coming for a few weeks and I think after that I'll take over in the dining room. I am in Austin, TX. Thanks for your reply! 

3 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Welcome to the forum Patricia.

Carve out a place for yourself where ever you can!

What are the names of your 2 houses?

Thanks for your reply! One is The Cora Tudor and one is The Josephine Farmhouse (what I wanted to name my girls, but got vetoed), going to build the Margot Barn after these two are in better shape 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Minimouse said:

Good Morning all! I am a 30 something mother to 3 from Texas and I've always had a fascination for miniatures.  I have two dollhouses in need of some renovation, that I baby when I can.  I am running into a problem when it comes to working on them however, I am not sure where to do so... where do you all work? Should I take over my dining room? Set up a workshop in my walk-in? Clear a space in the garage? I am at a bit of a loss with that.  Look forward to being active here, and on instagram once I get things up and running.  Thanks! 

Hi Patricia :) Claim your space and make it your own where you'll feel comfortable and less likely to be disturbed. I have taken over a spare bedroom for my workroom: it is a total mess most of the time but it's MY space where I'm surrounded by things I like and where I can just shut the door when I'm finished working for the day :)

I agree you will need some space of your own indoors. I work in my living room (but I work in half scale and it’s easier to clean up and a TV tray makes a great work table.) If I had to work in the garage I know I wouldn't get anything done. An uncomfortable environment would make me avoid it. And the whole idea of minis is the fun and enjoyment you get out of this creative work.

24 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Hi Patricia :) Claim your space and make it your own where you'll feel comfortable and less likely to be disturbed. I have taken over a spare bedroom for my workroom: it is a total mess most of the time but it's MY space where I'm surrounded by things I like and where I can just shut the door when I'm finished working for the day :)

Yes, I don't have a spare bedroom unfortunately and I do want a space that is mine.  I have been looking at some walk in closet craft rooms and may go that route.  

5 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

I agree you will need some space of your own indoors. I work in my living room (but I work in half scale and it’s easier to clean up and a TV tray makes a great work table.) If I had to work in the garage I know I wouldn't get anything done. An uncomfortable environment would make me avoid it. And the whole idea of minis is the fun and enjoyment you get out of this creative work.

I have young children still so I don't want to be constantly distracted, and I don't want to work in a garage in the Texas summer, I want to work on them, my biggest issue right now is the WHERE :-)

Welcome

I think Cora would have been a great name.  Probably hard to find a personalized mug but a wonderful name none the less.   I look forward to seeing your work. 

I have a dedicated craft room where most everything is neatly organized and I work at the craft table in there . I also have me desk and computer in there and my kiln..but I often work on my lap on a tray with small things, feet on a stool in my recliner. Of course this only works for doing little bits. If I was in your position I would maybe find a place to organize your stash of stuff which will suddenly start to multiply for some reason. Devote maybe one dedicated  wall in the garage to the "stuff" but then use your dining room table  or a small table in your bedroom to actually work on. I think this would work. Good luck and of course welcome.