Room boxes that slip into a dollhouse?

10 posts in this topic

I’d like to start small, with room boxes, but I think it would be amazing if I made them to slip into a larger dollhouse, using trim to cover the edges.  I think wiring would become much easier that way, too, and I could better model the Gilded Age wall thicknesses, too.  It would also make each project more manageable.

Have people done something similar?  Does it sound reasonable?  I figure I’d build the outer dollhouse once I got a number of rooms to my liking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What an interesting idea! I can picture the trim attached to the individual units as a flange on top and sides that would cover the edges and wiring when the room is slipped into place. Do keep us posted if you decide to go down this road.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know a woman who does 1/4 scale this way. She decorates the room in a small box which is open at the top and side for easy access then slides it into the house.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genevra….Many years ago I designed my dollhouse so that it would fit in limited space and have adequate room sizes for play and re arrangement. If you look at my album you will see that my rooms are very much individual and could almost be constructed as you are planning.  I look forward to your postings.  Good luck continue thinking out of the box.

Silver Dollar Out

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A year or so ago I happen to spot an enormous dollhouse in a thrift store - and it looked exactly like you are talking about!  Each room had it's own glass door.  It looked to me like they were all separate rooms- like they could be pulled out individually, and then slid back into position.  It was gigantic- otherwise I probably would have found a way to stuff it in my house!  LOL

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genevra, I think I know two of my petitpointing friends who are building roomboxes that will become a doll house.  I'm not sure if I can link one friends picture trail, but I think Susan Farnik is on Facebook... past MC covergirl for that beautiful conservatory and the Pot Shop is coming to my brain right now.

Khadi, thanks for the link, I will add this to my favorites.  The conversation definitely makes me want to do a scratch build... and I like that Giac did 14" ceilings as that is my plan for the main floor too.  His staircase is beautiful.

 Grin, need to disappear from forums and start drawing floor plans!

Perchance to dream...

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2018, 8:33:00, havanaholly said:

Genevra, check out Tamra's thread about stick-building in mini.

Oh goodness!  I read that before I joined—I’ve kinda lurked on and off for years—and I do stick building IRL. That would be a lot more complicated than what I’m envisioning, and the time period is before modern framing, anyhow. 

On 5/24/2018, 10:57:00, Bob Hood said:

Genevra….Many years ago I designed my dollhouse so that it would fit in limited space and have adequate room sizes for play and re arrangement. If you look at my album you will see that my rooms are very much individual and could almost be constructed as you are planning.  I look forward to your postings.  Good luck continue thinking out of the box.

Silver Dollar Out

Mine will be quite similar!  The construction techniques of the day meant many floor-to-roof walls. 

On 5/24/2018, 4:30:13, jbnmini said:

A year or so ago I happen to spot an enormous dollhouse in a thrift store - and it looked exactly like you are talking about!  Each room had it's own glass door.  It looked to me like they were all separate rooms- like they could be pulled out individually, and then slid back into position.  It was gigantic- otherwise I probably would have found a way to stuff it in my house!  LOL

I actually measured out the final size. If I finish, it would be just enormous. I want to do a London townhouse circa 1896, probably originally built circa 1880. Gothic revival with Arts and Crafts influence upstairs, but below stairs and the service offices are my obsession. Belle Époque is more appropriate for England than Gilded Age I suppose. 

 

On 5/24/2018, 6:29:28, Khadi said:

I've been following this gentleman's blog for years.  He built from scratch rather than room boxes, but his work is amazing.  He also shows how he creates each room.

http://englishmanordollhouse.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2011-07-03T07:58:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=13&by-date=false

 

Delicious!

 

On 5/24/2018, 11:05:10, Neverfinished2005 said:

Genevra, I think I know two of my petitpointing friends who are building roomboxes that will become a doll house.  I'm not sure if I can link one friends picture trail, but I think Susan Farnik is on Facebook... past MC covergirl for that beautiful conservatory and the Pot Shop is coming to my brain right now.

Khadi, thanks for the link, I will add this to my favorites.  The conversation definitely makes me want to do a scratch build... and I like that Giac did 14" ceilings as that is my plan for the main floor too.  His staircase is beautiful.

 Grin, need to disappear from forums and start drawing floor plans!

Perchance to dream...

 

 

Yes, my Greenleaf was lovely, but I want something a bit more insane. Lol. 

Okay, I’m not crazy, then—about this, at least. I can get my floor plan nailed down and start with the servants’ hall. :)  It’s a fairly simple room, though larger than many, because it’s not used for storage really. Just the servants’ stoneware in their dresser, storage-wise. 

I plan to use hardboard for the inner rooms and plywood for the shell and the “structural” walls (that would have been 9” to 18” thick). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love that period, and your project sounds amazing. I can't wait to see how you bring it into being. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now