Kilauea Eruption 2018

KathieB

I'm starting a new thread, as I keep losing track in the more general thread where this was started (Thank you for the original notice, Sable!)

This is the website for the Lava Cam.

It is about 8 AM as I watch. The eruptions seem to be subsiding for the moment, at least they are not as violent/powerful as when I watched earlier. The tree in the foreground appears to have lost all of its leaves. Hard to tell how near or far it is from the vent. A few minutes ago, just as I was logging in, there was a violent shaking of the camera. I couldn't tell if it was from an earthquake or the camera being moved by the operator. The angle has changed.

This is the link to What it's like to operate CNN's "Lava Cam"

• Like 2

Not liking the new view. It’s lost the headon perspective it had before. But as holly mentioned earlier, the lava was jumping the berm a bit so it maybe a safer vantage point. The camera appears to be  a bit closer now too which I think takes away from the perception of the fountain’s actual height.

Wow thanks for that Kathie!  We're watching with a great deal of interest from here in NZ.  In our city - Auckland, which is the biggest city in NZ, we have about 50 volcanoes!  NZ is on the 'Ring of Fire' and some of these volcanoes are bound to be only dormant and will no doubt wake up at some stage in the future!  I truly feel for those who have lost their homes... Astounding to hear birdsong in the background against the violence of the lava....

I watched for a long time last wednesday and it was much more lava, but it was all more clear, I could sea the sea on the background. At one point the person posting said that he was about a half mile far from this point that we are watching, now I don't know if he had to move farther or stayed at about the same distance even if from another location. I truly appreciate what this person is doing. Amazing! 

I haven’t been able to watch since last night. That berm has really grown and the jet engine sound has stopped. Three nights ago the sound was absolutely amazing. Every few minutes it would roar. Hopefully, things are beginning to quite down.

Watching the vent at night is even more surreal that the daytime view. Not so much spewing of lava now, but the pulsing red glow in the haze/laze/fog is downright eerie.

I walked through this part of the Big Island on a visit years ago. My native Hawaiian friend showed me the old lava flows that cut roads and took out subdivisions. Memories of being on the ground make this even all the more real to me. I'm happy enough to see the power subside.

Sable, I see Gov. Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency for the entire state in advance of Hurricane Alberto's arrival. You're going to be experiencing an extreme natural event in your own backyard pretty soon. 

51 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Sable, I see Gov. Rick Scott has declared a state of emergency for the entire state in advance of Hurricane Alberto's arrival. You're going to be experiencing an extreme natural event in your own backyard pretty soon. 

I think that was overkill. It’s the flooding on the west coast that I believe he is worried about. It’s not even expected to become a hurricane, just more rain added to the three weeks of monsoons we’ve already had. It’s getting kinda old. But when it stops the heat and humidity will be ghastly again.

TS Alberto's landfall is tentatively expected near the western side of Mobile Bay Monday with winds around 65 mph; of course, that's two days from now, so who knows?  We picked up a case of a week's worth of camping food for the season and are keeping our drinking water bottles topped off.

Has anyone noticed that periodically the camera's shaking?  Like close by tremors?  I think the cameraman better have a pronto giddyup plan.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

Has anyone noticed that periodically the camera's shaking?  Like close by tremors?  I think the cameraman better have a pronto giddyup plan.

Holly, I thought they were tremors a few days ago,too. After too many hours of observation,  I think it’s the wind moving the camera. I’ve noticed it does this mostly during the windy part of the day. 

Edit: I just read the news about it and you are correct Holly, there have been a number of recent 2.7 earthquakes.

It's a lot easier to see how busy Mamma Pele is watching the eruption in the dark.  I see that the sides of the vents have grown, between the over spills of pahoehoe and the falling clinkers of aa aa; the tops of the lava spews still top the sides behind the trees.  He might have moved his camera back, which would account for the diminished noise.

19 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

...  He might have moved his camera back, which would account for the diminished noise.

Can you hear anything? I think the sound has been shut off. We should at least be hearing the chickens and other bird noises. I hear nothing at all.

Gosh, at the moment I can hear a soft hissing noise and an occasional bird call. There is no wind at all. I see movement in the haze/steam and a few spritzes of lava, but the leaves in the foreground are not even fluttering. Eerie.