Kilauea Eruption 2018

KathieB

They discussed this location on their broadcast. It’s a lava pool formed by the lava from fissure #22, the fissure we’ve been watching. Also to the left protected by a berm is the Geothermal power plant. Tonight we should see the flow of lava out of the pool. This entire area had been a neighborhood. 

1 hour ago, Sable said:

They discussed this location on their broadcast. It’s a lava pool formed by the lava from fissure #22, the fissure we’ve been watching. Also to the left protected by a berm is the Geothermal power plant. Tonight we should see the flow of lava out of the pool. This entire area had been a neighborhood. 

Not having cable we don't get to watch CNN; thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update, Denise. That bent tree in the center of the frame is one sad little puppy. :( 

Edit (10 minutes later): the camera just swung a fair distance to the right and is focussed on an actively bubbling part of the vent. I can hear voices, but they are not loud enough to hear what they're saying but for a few individual words.

That slow moving "river" of pahoehoe lava is what the surface of the caldera was doing when we paused to look in on our hike across Kilauea's floor all those years ago.  I'll bet it'll be spectacular once it's dark.  The bent little tree is no longer in the frame, but I think the sight is probably more visually interesting.

Oh sadness. I only first opened it and watched it late this afternoon. (it doesn't work from my phone so I had to wait until I was on a computer... And then actually remember.) It was really neat to watch, and I was looking forward to watching it again tomorrow. Oh well. Hope everyone is safe .