Sugar Plum alterations

EmilyCraig

I have a commission to build the Sugarplum! My client provided the kit and would like me to give it more of a ‘cape cod’ look. I’ve cut out an additional dormer window in the attic space and I’ve decided to turn the front window into a window seat. I also cut an opening for a narrow stairway. I know the sugarplum is a popular kit- I’m hoping for some tips and advice on the best methods to alter the design. This is the first time I’ve altered a kit and I’m kind of making it up as I go!

B135CF59-895B-4DA8-AADD-0714DC7A5FA6.jpeg

72C45A31-1E77-4A64-99FA-EA8C65B9F503.jpeg

I tend to do a lot of research on the type of house I’m interested in and closely study images of real life examples. This is where google and Pinterest can really be your friends. I also read about the style of architecture to see if there are details about the way the homes were set up and furnished.

BTW, love the frame over the fireplace. Where did you find it? Is it 3D printed?

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018, 3:46:27, Dalesq said:

I tend to do a lot of research on the type of house I’m interested in and closely study images of real life examples. This is where google and Pinterest can really be your friends. I also read about the style of architecture to see if there are details about the way the homes were set up and furnished.

BTW, love the frame over the fireplace. Where did you find it? Is it 3D printed?

I have found some great pics on Pinterest, but researching deeper into the style was a great idea- it helps to know how and why a particular architectural style developed to better alter the cottage- I think I’ll add some cosmetic details to complete the cape cod look- the kind of siding I’ll use , probably some window shutters as well and maybe stone for the foundation-

I got the frame from this great Etsy shop- the shop offers all kinds of great architectural elements cast in resin, I think. It’s called RoyalMiniatures- I copied the link below (I hope) ! you should definitely check it out!

https://etsy.me/2J6nnY9

On 6/2/2018, 4:06:45, havanaholly said:

Emily, an HO scale tunnel portal might make the right size chimneybreast for that second floor fireplace.

Thanks- great idea! It has occurred to me that I could look for useful things among model train supplies, but I haven’t actually looked into it yet- I will definitely do that now! 

23 hours ago, Sable said:

Have you ever looked at Cinderella Moments? Might be  too whimsical for your build but she accomplishes so much fabulous bashing.

I love Cinderella Moments!! I emailed Carolyn, who is the artist, and asked some questions about her kit bashing, and she got right back with me, super nice and friendly!  Her work is amazing- but I especially like all the photos she posts of her work in progress!  I’ve downloaded a couple of pdf tutorials from her Etsy shop- such a great resource! 

• Like 1