I'm Going To My First Miniature Show!

Hello All!

Tomorrow I will be attending my first Dollhouse and Miniature show!  It's going to be at the Belle-Clair Expo Building in Belleville, Illinois tomorrow from 9:30 am. to 3:00 pm. It's the 35th annual show put on by Kay Weber. I'm used to going here for automotive swap meets twice a year. I'm going to be taking my parents along as well to help me make decorating decisions :) The doors open at 8:30 am. for early bird shoppers so we will try to make that. 

Is their any advice you could give the uninitiated on such an event? Are there any deals to be had I should be looking for? Or any to avoid?. Any items I should grab? Being new to this hobby i'm not sure on what to look for. 

Either way I'm excited! Another adventure :)

Thanks!

Bill Brown

• Like 1

If they have a website linking to a dealers page and if the dealers have linked their websites to it, I would start there. I always try to get familiar with the dealers before hand so I can make a point of spending time at their tables. Set a budget and bring cash. Have fun.

12 hours ago, Sable said:

Set a budget and bring cash.

I found at the Atlanta show that many if not most vendors now accept credit cards via the little swipe gadgets that connect to a smartphone. So if you spend all of your cash, all is not lost. Well, maybe your budget is destroyed, but hey, it's just money, eh? :D 

One of the perks of going to a show is the opportunity to look at the work of skilled artisans up close and personal. I stand in awe of the remarkable talent on display and always come away determined to up my own level of craftsmanship.

Enjoy!

• Like 3

I bring cash to these events for a few reasons: 1-sometimes you can get away without paying sales tax, 2-credit cards burden the dealer with credit card fees, 3-to insure I don’t go overbudget, 4-I’m convinced my card was comprised at the Orlando Show’s entrance fee table. At The Kensington Show I was glad I had cash because the conversion to British Pounds was daunting along with additional credit card fees on my card for the conversion. 

I was awestruck at my first miniatures fair which I attended earlier this year. I wanted to buy everything in sight! Gather cards from vendors you like and a pen to note down what you saw, or bought at their table so that you can return to their website (if they have one) to buy something at a later date. Have FUN, you will love it :)

Hello everyone!

I'm back from the show. How was it? Well..........

The advertisement for the show on Belle-Claire's website shows ads from last years show. The first flyer is for the "Doll, Bear and Collectibles" show. Directly below it the flyer for the "Dollhouse and Miniature" show. What it ended up being was around 95% Dolls and 5% miniatures. I do believe the president of the miniature club was there with her collection of room boxes. WOW were they amazing to see. There were three dealers handling miniatures and I found out one was in Fenton, MO. which is where I grew up and my parents still live. She said to come by and see what she had. What she brought to the show was furniture and bin after bin of what I would call "everyday items". Anything from bottles to oil paintings all to scale. She told me the show I should not miss will be in October and that is the dollhouse/miniature show. I definately will be putting it on the calender.

In the end I didn't buy anything but I gained the names and websites of a few miniature dealers I did not know about. Also my Mom won the first door prize of the day. Ten dollars to spend with a vendor. My mother who has a huge doll collection already found a crazy deal on a Marie Osmond doll. She has a few of hers already but not this one. I believe she said the doll is Marie Osmond as a child. It even came with a matching doll for this one to play with. The best thing was after putting the ten bucks she one towards it she only had to spend ten dollars! A screaming deal if you ask me!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will use them when I go to the show in October.

Bill 

48 minutes ago, WBrownIV said:

..."Doll, Bear and Collectibles" show. Directly below it the flyer for the "Dollhouse and Miniature" show. What it ended up being was around 95% Dolls and 5% miniatures...

Seeing this reminded me that DH took me to an identical show in 2005, when we took a 3-month trip up the west side of the Mississippi, crossing at St Louis to stay in a small RV campground in IL for a week over 4 July weekend