Need help removing carpet!

LisaC

My first order of business in rehabbing my Foxhall is to clean the thing and get rid of all the dirt and cobwebs and also strip the old wallpaper and carpet.  The wallpaper is coming along fine, but the carpets are glued down with some kind of glue with an insane bond strength.  I’ve never put carpet in a dollhouse before, so I have no idea what they probably used to glue it down with, and thus what might work best to help remove it.  I’d love to hear any suggestions about what I should try!

You could try a hair dryer.  The heat loosens up most glue.  Start at the edge and as it softens, pull up a little bit at a time or use a putty knife and try to slide it under the carpet as the heat softens the glue.

I’m into harsh chemicals since I just don’t have the patience to scrape and pull. Is the house in s garage or in your house? If in an open air space, Xylene will dissolve that glue in a few minutes... gloves, eye protection and fresh air required. 

I would opt for chemicals if the hair dryer or a heat gun don't do the job.  I think before xylene I would try acetone with an eye dropper as I pull & scrape, but that's because I'm a coward.

Lisa, I know what you mean....some of these houses I've renovated- geez, what on earth did they use for glue!? Construction grade glue?  LOL  My last house I was trying the heat gun method and it was melting the material they used for carpet- but not the glue!!  :eek:  Lots of Goo Gone, heat gun, scraping and sanding later, I finally got it all out.  I'm gonna go get me some xylene!

oi vey, Joanne - "lighter fluid with a hair dryer" doesn't sound like a very good combination! :blowup: