rebuilding my Secret Garden

Years ago, I decided to make The Secret Garden. I loved the way it turned out, and it was one of the more popular scenes when I exhibited my dollhouses; probably because so many people love the book.

I used floral foam with drywall compound and real stones to make the walls of the garden.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=89328&browse=1

It looked great! But it made the structure very heavy, and this past year, as we were shifting some things around in the garage (where it was being stored) it broke. I was really upset because I am always especially proud of the houses/scenes I make from scratch.

I recently decided to rebuild it, and I am working on it now. I'd like to get some idea/recommendations for building the walls. The base I am using is styrofoam, and it was a small lip around the top, but I want the walls to be taller. 

I am familiar with the egg crate method, but I do not have any egg crates right now, and I am anxious to get started. I do have 2 packages of paperclay- has anyone used paperclay to make wall, and pressed real stones or pebbles into it?Do you think the paperclay will attach to styrofoam/floral foam?

1 hour ago, shamrockgirl18 said:

Do you think the paperclay will attach to styrofoam/floral foam?

I'd paint a thin coat of glue ... maybe Aileen's Tacky Glue or similar ... over the surface of the foam and press the paperclay against it to assure it will stick.

Have you thought about making individual stones out of paperclay and sticking them to the foam instead of real stones?  That would certainly make the new garden a lot lighter.

I recently (like 3 weeks ago recent) took a class where we made a stone wall with a pond on one side and garden on the other. The wall was provided already built, and we covered it in paperclay, then carved stones into it and painted it. We added more dimension by adding extra clay to some stones instead of them all being flat. I believe he said he made the wall out of layers of gator board. Do cover the foam with glue before applying the paperclay. Tacky glue or other white glue will be fine. 

I haven't taken pictures of mine yet, but here's the link to the class description, with pictures.

http://miniaturedesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=41299

Due to the area where the house was in Yorkshire, the walls  would  certainly have  been  made of  large flat grey/beige   Yorkstone. This is how I would portray it and I think you could achieve that look with a thin layer of paper clay over the board, then paint and finish them to look like real Yorkstone.

It was my favorite book  as a child and  I have seen all the versions and they are all a bit different..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/8/2018, 7:49:12, sparklepuppies said:

I recently (like 3 weeks ago recent) took a class where we made a stone wall with a pond on one side and garden on the other. The wall was provided already built, and we covered it in paperclay, then carved stones into it and painted it. We added more dimension by adding extra clay to some stones instead of them all being flat. I believe he said he made the wall out of layers of gator board. Do cover the foam with glue before applying the paperclay. Tacky glue or other white glue will be fine. 

I haven't taken pictures of mine yet, but here's the link to the class description, with pictures.

http://miniaturedesigns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=41299

Well isn't that beautiful I love it.