Power tools : table saw

WestPaces

Ok so, I got an email from MicroMark (my fav store right now) offering 20% off any order for 4 days. Table saws are rarely on sale so I thought this just might be the impetus for me to take the plunge and buy it now. History has shown that when I take a leap and invest in a more pricey thing - whatever interest/project/hobby I'm buying it for suddenly becomes less interesting. It seems to jinx whatever I'm working on. SO I need your help, tell me why I should buy it, what do you love yours for? What will I be able to do with it that I can't do with hand tools. Convince me :)

16 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

What will I be able to do with it that I can't do with hand tools. 

Nothing. Really, nothing. 

I bought one. Never took it out of the box. Four years later I sold it when we moved. Haven't missed it.

1 minute ago, KathieB said:

Nothing. Really, nothing. 

I bought one. Never took it out of the box. Four years later I sold it when we moved. Haven't missed it.

No even for handmade furniture Kathie :( ?

My husband got me a desk top table saw from Micro Mark for Christmas. It nice because it is so tiny, but I have to say I use my regular sized band saw more and it was much cheaper.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35554906&KPID=18611107&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Craftsman_-_Brand_-_DT_-_EXC&pla=pla_18611107&k_clickid=86d7ba37-e3bc-48d7-9025-a17f928dd08a&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKt3uCGg_9V81rsk_MA8ATGZM_0WKF9BReFGtCF8xspbazjXTpTzbxRhoCMHkQAvD_BwE

this is an example of mine. I am pretty sure we paid under a $100. Shop around before you buy anything, even if it is on sale.

5 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

My husband got me a desk top table saw from Micro Mark for Christmas. It nice because it is so tiny, but I have to say I use my regular sized band saw more and it was much cheaper.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35554906&KPID=18611107&cid=CAPLA:G:Shopping_-_Craftsman_-_Brand_-_DT_-_EXC&pla=pla_18611107&k_clickid=86d7ba37-e3bc-48d7-9025-a17f928dd08a&gclid=CjwKCAjw0ujYBRBDEiwAn7BKt3uCGg_9V81rsk_MA8ATGZM_0WKF9BReFGtCF8xspbazjXTpTzbxRhoCMHkQAvD_BwE

this is an example of mine. I am pretty sure we paid under a $100. Shop around before you buy anything, even if it is on sale.

Thanks Carrie! How tiny is the Micromark saw? It looks pretty large in the pic, we are talking the tilt arbor saw right?

I have the Micromark tilt arbor saw and couldn’t/wouldn’t  build without it. Perfect for custom builds. The best things it can do:

Cut multiple pieces of stacked trim at once.

Fabulous for mitre cuts.

can make Dual mitre cuts for instance I needed a 20 degree cut at a 45 degree angle. Perfect for roof angle cuts.

make my own 3/8” floor boards out of 4” sheets of basswood. 

Cut 1/2” birch plywood.

i use a diamond blade and cut real slate and stone with it. 

Note: the blade that comes with it wears out fairly quickly. The replacement blades are longer lasting. The diamond blade is very expensive and I usually get a new one as a Christmas present. Long 24” boards are tricky to cut so I made a guide. It is expensive but very well built. I love it.

57 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

No even for handmade furniture Kathie :( ?

Have not made anything that wasn't made using hand tools -- except for the Dremel, and that mostly for sanding and drilling, not cutting. Have had no need to cut bunches of trim or special angles or anything else that couldn't be done using hand tools, patience, and time. 

But folks work in different ways. If you see yourself doing the things that Sable listed, then go for it! :D 

14 minutes ago, Sable said:

I have the Micromark tilt arbor saw and couldn’t/wouldn’t  build without it. Perfect for custom builds. The best things it can do:

Cut multiple pieces of stacked trim at once.

Fabulous for mitre cuts.

can make Dual mitre cuts for instance I needed a 20 degree cut at a 45 degree angle. Perfect for roof angle cuts.

make my own 3/8” floor boards out of 4” sheets of basswood. 

Cut 1/2” birch plywood.

i use a diamond blade and cut real slate and stone with it. 

Note: the blade that comes with it wears out fairly quickly. The replacement blades are longer lasting. The diamond blade is very expensive and I usually get a new one as a Christmas present. Long 24” boards are tricky to cut so I made a guide. It is expensive but very well built. I love it.

Good arguments, I just can't seem to get a good neat cut by hand. Since I want to scratch build the next house and plan to make my own furniture / fittings  I think it might be useful for me. Also I think one could save on making one's own stripwood... ?  I guess I'm trying to convince myself ...

4 minutes ago, KathieB said:

Have not made anything that wasn't made using hand tools -- except for the Dremel, and that mostly for sanding and drilling, not cutting. Have had no need to cut bunches of trim or special angles or anything else that couldn't be done using hand tools, patience, and time. 

But folks work in different ways. If you see yourself doing the things that Sable listed, then go for it! :D 

The thing is, I usually prefer doing things by hand. I love the act of cutting, chiseling, sculpting, sanding... by hand, after all, that's the 'craft' part of crafting right? It's just that I'm often put off by the unevenness of my cuts :( 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

It's just that I'm often put off by the unevenness of my cuts

You can buy strip wood that's more uniform than what you can cut, especially if you need a lot of it.

Hi Janet, I have both the small and larger table saw by Proxxon which is Micromark. I also use band and scroll saws........what you can do with the 'micromarks' you can't do with the bandsaw or scroll saw.........If I had to make the choice of which to sacrifice the I'd let the scroll saw go first, the bandsaw next. I really would be lost without the table saws though and strangely enough I seen to use the smaller one more than the larger. 

But as Sable says......they do it all and do it well.

My thoughts anyway!

2 hours ago, KathieB said:

You can buy strip wood that's more uniform than what you can cut, especially if you need a lot of it.

That’s where I tend to disagree. Once you set the fence and the blade, every single cut is uniform. Strip wood plus shipping is expensive. This stack of flooring was made with one piece of $8 wood, patiently waiting to be put down in the White House. The second photo is of the floor in the Pool House which was entirely made using the Micromark.  Every piece is uniform and butted up perfectly.  Finally, the third photo shows all of the custom cut shingles and window rosette cut with the table saw. 

170EA285-689B-4081-A711-A0F2210FB9E1.jpeg

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=115381

42 minutes ago, MikeUK said:

Hi Janet, I have both the small and larger table saw by Proxxon which is Micromark. I also use band and scroll saws........what you can do with the 'micromarks' you can't do with the bandsaw or scroll saw.........If I had to make the choice of which to sacrifice the I'd let the scroll saw go first, the bandsaw next. I really would be lost without the table saws though and strangely enough I seen to use the smaller one more than the larger. 

But as Sable says......they do it all and do it well.

My thoughts anyway!

Good to know Mike, thank you!

34 minutes ago, Sable said:

That’s where I tend to disagree. Once you set the fence and the blade, every single cut is uniform. Strip wood plus shipping is expensive. This stack of flooring was made with one piece of $8 wood, patiently waiting to be put down in the White House. The second photo is of the floor in the Pool House which was entirely made using the Micromark.  Every piece is uniform and butted up perfectly.  Finally, the third photo shows all of the custom cut shingles and window rosette cut with the table saw. 

170EA285-689B-4081-A711-A0F2210FB9E1.jpeg

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=115381

Ok, you guys have sold me on it! Sable, you cut the round windows with it??? Also, would you consider sharing with me your source of slate from France? I'm going this summer and I'd love to get some. Fabulous work by the way :)