wallpaper and wood moldings

Thimble Hall

Hi, just wondering as I have had a problem in the past.

When adding baseboards or moldings to a wall papered surface, is it better to leave a little of the wall unpapered ,just a bit that the molding will then cover . Does this make for a  stronger bond as the molding will be touching both the  raw wood and the wall papered surface . Also is there a better glue than the usual white which is used for assembly.

I ask because in the recent build of .my caravan which fortunately was small, I found some wallpapers  more like gift wrap, they were very shiny and didn't seem to handle well. I worry if putting base board on top of wallpaper  it may not be strong enough and I am almost ready to begin decorating my big English  house and I don't want a problem. I have 16 large rooms to paper, walls and ceilings so want to be prepared.. The ceilings are being done in a heavy  anaglypta . I worry too about adding a ceiling rose to the center of a papered ceiling.

Thanks in advance

XX Jeannine

For adhering wood to wood I prefer the carpenter;s wood glue, which is yellowish, so I wipe away any leaks/ oozes I spot.  I use premixed wallpaper paste for wall coverings, and if that doesn't work well I go back with some of my Elmer's all-purpose white glue.  I haven't had a problem with baseboards sticking to wallpaper, but as I mentioned, I use the carpenter's wood glue on them.  I've only done ceiling roses on painted ceilings and on one ceiling I did with a plastic imitation "tin" ceiling, because I hung a non-working light fixture from it.

I use all purpose white glue for both wallpaper and trims. And I trim right over the paper (usually). If the wallpaper has a treated surface you might need to use tacky glue or superglue to hold the trim while the glue sets. I’d do a couple of tests, just to be sure before committing to an entire room.

I use all purpose white glue for both wallpaper and trims. And I trim right over the paper (usually). If the wallpaper has a treated surface you might need to use tacky glue or superglue to hold the trim while the glue sets. I’d do a couple of tests, just to be sure before committing to an entire room.

34 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

you might need to use tacky glue or superglue to hold the trim while the glue sets. 

I believe it was Caseymini who suggested dotting white glue every half inch or so along the trim and interspersing with dots of super glue, which sets quickly and will hold the trim in place while the white glue dries. It is not necessary to smear glue over the entire piece of trim. 

5 hours ago, Mineejv said:

Holly:  Talking about the plastic “tin” ceiling what kind of glue do I use on it. I’ve never used the “”tin”” before.

Joanne, that was my Cambridge, which I built back before I had any forums to ask questions, so I used my carpenter's wood glue on it.

Hi,

Been awhile since I have been on here.  Lots happened on the last year.

Anyway, I had found a great tutorial for installing crown moulding, how to miter corners, etc.  of course now I can’t find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

54 minutes ago, Mimajo said:

Hi,

Anyway, I had found a great tutorial for installing crown moulding, how to miter corners, etc.  of course now I can’t find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

The most important tip I can give is that when you make your pencil mark, say to yourself “do I want my cut to the left or right of my pencil line?How thick is my blade?” Never cut on the pencil line because your blade’s kerf will cut away too much material. Always cut next to, not on the line.

4 hours ago, Mimajo said:

Hi,

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Welcome home, Jo.  I am not the Holly who submitted this:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&category=29

• 1 month later...