Lily Roof

Khadi

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for getting the Lily side roof pieces to bend.  I'm trying the damp paper towel technique in the directions but so far I have achieved very limited flexibility and almost no bend in the pieces.  Thanks.

I haven't opened my Lily kit, but if the roof is wood I shall do what I did with the section of the Glencroft roof that curves over the front door and pass it over rapidly boiling water and if that doesn't work the first time I shall take my utility knife and score parallel lines from side to side on the side that will be the interior and steam the bejeezis out of it again, then wrap it around a large diameter curved object and hold it with rubber bands until it dries.  I figure I can always spread spackle over the cuts and sand it smooth.

• Like 2

Just a wild suggestion-Get it very wet and try to wrap it around a rolling pin or large bottle.

When I need to bend balsa I soak it for 5-10 minutes and wrap it with blue tape around a jar or a large soda bottle.  Let it dry real well before dismantling. 

Edit: just read Holly’s post. Holly gave me this suggestion years ago. Yes, rubber bands work well too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Lowe's and HD don't have the super thin wood.  I think it's 1/16" thick,  or 1/32.  Can't remember (it's still in MO)

Actually, Lowe's does carry veneers, both sheets and the iron-on strips that Holly uses for flooring. 

• Like 1

Lawanda, I got a 1/32s and 1/16s at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Can't remember which one. I think both have it where they keep the round and square dowels - model making section, maybe? they have them for sure and they are birch if I am not completely mistaken.

1 hour ago, Soapz said:

Lawanda, I got a 1/32s and 1/16s at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. Can't remember which one. I think both have it where they keep the round and square dowels - model making section, maybe? they have them for sure and they are birch if I am not completely mistaken.

Not basswood?

You can’t bend birch plywood easily. The multiple layers and grain direction gives it too much stability to bend. I really think basla is your best bet, although it dents easily  it’s a sturdy board and bends well along the grain if wet and slowly bent around a support.

• 3 months later...