Shop/bakery counters

WyckedWood

I’m on the look-out for bakery counters for the Mistledough Cafe. I’m looking at some that are mostly acrylic on eBay by Global miniatures out of Thailand. Wondering if anyone’s had experience with those?  They look so delicate, I’m afraid they’d arrive broken in pieces.

Aside from that does anyone have a shop counter they would recommend of nice quality? I’d like it mostly see through but a little wood trim so it doesn’t look too modern. 

Thanks for any info. 

I do like that one, thanks. Makes me nervous that it says it’s built after purchase though. 

Yeah, I have this book sitting here right next to me about making shopkeeper counters and etc. and was thinking if my life depended on it I could never follow these instructions or doubtful even find the supplies to get started. Too much math and measuring :) 

Kaarin, if that's the book I have, it's not that bad and the items turn out pretty good.  I used it a lot for the general store fixtures, and I will use it again for Brimble's.

It’s the Dolls House Shopkeeper. The first counter I looked at in the book said you’d need a circular saw, just looks complicated. I’m sure it would cost as much to buy the supplies as to buy a finished cabinet with less tears and blood.  Prices on eBay are all over the map though. Really one of those times you need to take your project into an actual dollhouse shop and try out 5 or 6 counters to find the right one. Unfortunately there isn’t a shop anywhere near me. 

58 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

I do like that one, thanks. Makes me nervous that it says it’s built after purchase though. 

Yeah, I have this book sitting here right next to me about making shopkeeper counters and etc. and was thinking if my life depended on it I could never follow these instructions or doubtful even find the supplies to get started. Too much math and measuring :) 

Not true!

Thin pieces of plexiglass cut easily on your saw. I know you could do it, you are a smart cookie! It is only if you want to do it...

It always seems more complicated than it is Karin. We've seen your creative talents with the dolls etc. You really should give it a try. As Carrie says, make a mock up of card stock or foam board to 'see' what you're up against and get the 'feel' of how you'll put it together.

• Like 1

Karin, I use basswood and I can cut up to 1/4" thickness with my utility knife and a cork-backed steel straight edge.  That's the book I have and here are some of the things I made:

ready to move in.jpg

White glue works for gluing acetate dollhouse windows into wood frames.

If it's a matter of gluing acetate to acetate, the thistothat.com website recommendation for gluing plastic to plastic is here. They don't have a specific mention of acetate.

Thanks Kathie. Might be able to find something in the model section at hobby lobby. I’ve never cut thin plastic that the edges didn’t shatter and crack a little. Not sure how they avoid that either. I ended up purchasing a counter but it’s smaller than what I wanted so I’m thinking I could add a low counter to it. Then I also need a few others that would need to be very specific sizes, after window shopping for counters, I’m realizing the sizes I need will have to be handmade. 

I have one you can have for postage. It is white with plexiglass or maybe glass, not sure. I won’t be home until Friday so I can’t send a photo. I’ll see if I can find one online. It’s a bit long so make sure it’s not to large for your purpose 6.7”.

I buy a fair bit from Aliexpress now and I'm generally pleased with what turns up!  It is mostly from China so does take time to arrive - plus sometimes communication isn't wonderful.  However 95% of what I have bought from Aliexpress I have been happy with.  Mostly free shipping too!

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180613140753&SearchText=dollhouse+display

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180613140927&SearchText=dollhouse+shop+display

6 hours ago, Dalesq said:

Cool thanks for the link. The one I bought is similar in style and shape but it’s white. I’ll watch this one in case the other doesn’t work out. 

6 hours ago, Shareb said:

I buy a fair bit from Aliexpress now and I'm generally pleased with what turns up!  It is mostly from China so does take time to arrive - plus sometimes communication isn't wonderful.  However 95% of what I have bought from Aliexpress I have been happy with.  Mostly free shipping too!

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180613140753&SearchText=dollhouse+display

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20180613140927&SearchText=dollhouse+shop+display

Thanks for the tip, I love the stall with shelves item they have listed and the etageres. Looks like a good source for future reference! 

• Like 1