Electrical schematics

11 posts in this topic

I am making my first try at electrical wiring and was really hoping to find a drawing of the dollhouse that I could use to draw my dimensions and measurements on, rather than creating one from scratch on graph paper. Alas, the directions for the Beachside Bungalow do not have a suitable drawing that I could copy to draw on. Is there some resource somewhere where I could find something I could work with? I would like to have a permanent record of where the tapewire is located to avoid haphazardly poking holes in the wallpaper later on.

Thanks to anyone that can offer some perspective or ideas!

I guess was hoping to find a blank schematic that I could draw on and record measurements for a permanent record, like this diagram from the Greenleaf Quick Start page (only for my house!). This would be a great resource that could be included with the assembly instructions.

But I certainly could take photos like one of your links showed. Thanks for that idea.

Screenshot_2018-06-13-22-24-12_kindlephoto-866768482.png

1 person likes this

Photos are really the best time saving solution.

1 person likes this

Hi Lita.………….I took photos of each room and included a note card in each pic with measurements.  This makes a perfect record for you and however ends up with the house. I took over a dozen of this type of picture.  One other practice is to place your wall tape at a consistent height off the floor in each room. Follow the good illustrations available on line. The electrical work was the most challenging part of my build.  Good Luck

Silver Dollar Over and Out

1 person likes this

Once the wiring runs are in place many folks do take photos of each room for later trouble shooting, as Denise suggests.  A lot of people run tapewire an inch or two from the floor and up along the front edge of a wall, or hide roundwire behind baseboards and up corners.

1 person likes this

I am another one that goes the picture route.  When the wiring is all done I take a photo of each room, making notes of measurements (placement of sconces, distance a run is from a wall or window, etc).  You can file these all on the computer, but I like to print them out and place them in an envelope for future reference.  I have a file cabinet where I keep a folder on each house/roombox.

2 people like this

I like the envelope idea; you can tape it to the bottom of the dollhouse for safe keeping.

I took photos of each room to decide where I wanted to run the wires and hang the lights, attach the outlets etc.  I drew on the pics but I also drew pencil lines in the floor and down the walls which enabled me to see where things lined up and the best place to put holes etc.

1 person likes this

5b24228a12bcc_beachbungalow.thumb.png.92

1173 x 802 x 256 - 922k :)

2 people like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• Similar Content

• Fairfield wiring
      By Gramma Pam
      Help! I took on the wiring of my Fairfield dollhouse. The problem is with where to put the wires on the lights & the tapewires. I have looked at the house over & over. I just can’t figure out a way to make it work!
    • Any one else tired of learning the hard way???
      By Mid-life madness
      I swear, I make more work for myself. It has just been a lousy week for me. My minis were my best consolation until this mishap. I was trimming the wallpaper around the window openings when I cut the wires to one of my sconces. #$%^!!!!!!!  If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. WWWell I just wanted to commiserate with you all. I think I fixed it, but now I hope I have extra wall paper I was able to reattach the wires and use some heat shrink tube!.
    • The Orchid Tea Room
      By Minigirl
      Someone suggested newbies start a thread about their build and ask questions so that everything would be in one place for them as they work on their projects. Sounds like a great idea so here is mine. I am building the orchid with the intent it be a tea room or tea room and gifts shop. The exterior will be painted in a true Victorian color scheme of rose tones, cream/white, and gray. I wanted to paint my own Victorian house in this palette but the Victorian next door to me is painted orange, yellow and brown. Color clash with my pinks. I opted for greens, beige, cream with a deep red burgundy accent in real life.
      The first floor will be a kitchen and dining room with a conservatory out the end of the dining room for additional seating/garden area. The upstairs will either be a bed and bath living quarters for the shop owner or a bath and gift/shop area. I haven't decided for sure yet. I have many questions and hope you all will be able to help out and give me your ideas, opinions and web sources. I have been reading like mad the past few weeks to learn about things I don't know about like wiring and lighting etc. Yes I am cross eyed at this point so it's time to ask questions. I would like to paper the house with Victorian damask or floral type papers and have not found exactly what I want.  I checked out miniature.com, Earth and Tree along with ebay and many printable paper sites. I didn't find anything I was in love with for this project so I thought I would make my own papers. I found some beautiful images to use and take to a printer to print out since I don't have a laser printer. I have only been able to find one short video without sound on how to do this. I need more info. Like what to set the dpi for if I want to print on legal size paper and how to cut the image to make the pattern repeat. I have gimp but would be willing to download something else if someone here knows how to use different software. There are tons of videos on how to use gimp but I don't know what other terms to search for to find the right video to set up for large paper printing and making my pattern repeat. Any suggestions? Even printing out on 8.5 x 11 would be fine since I am going to plug and play my electrical and use corner molding to hide wiring. Been a long time since I used gimp so I don't mind learning things again.
      While researching lighting, I found warm white led bulbs but not cool white or daylight led. Do they exist? I may put some of these in the ceiling as can lights around a focal point Victorian type of light fixture in the dining room. I'm also interested in making some of my own light fixtures and led would work perfectly for this. Are there any in particular lights you would recommend for this purpose or suppliers. I think I can plug and play led bulbs. If I am wrong, please let me know.
      I have hung lots of wallpaper in real life and rewired my fair share of antique lights and chandeliers so I think I'm ready to tackle a dollhouse. Thanks in advance you wonderful mini makers!
      Please help me with these two dilemmas. 1. wallpaper 2.led bulbs/lighting.

• Electrical advice?
      By MC
      You'd think I could wire a dollhouse if I can teach 4th graders how to build series and parallel circuits along with electromagnets and how to make a light with a dill pickle, but the brass brad have me beat.  I've gone through  nearly 100 brads and only have 3 junctions created.  They represent nearly 6 hours of work.  Any tips on getting those brads into basswood walls?
      l started with the requisite dollhouse tools:  1/8" brass brads, tape wire, pilot hole punch, brad placement tool,small brass hammer, transformer, junction splice, and lead-in wire. Got the junction slice in and working, but from then on it's been more frustration than the presidential election!   Brads bend, fall out of tool, won't go in-- so I moved up to tiny needle nose pliers.  Brads bend, fall out of pliers, won't go in-- so I tried using a push pin for pilot holes and that worked a bit better, and I got one junction done.  Then had difficulty with next one.  Started using larger hammer with mixed success.  Have tried small drill hole--creates a loose fit of brad.  Tried holding brad with fine tweezers, and the brads bend worse.    
      I know it should get easier with practice, but 6 hours seems like it should produce  about a junction every 30-45 minutes.  Am I being unrealistic? How long should it take?  My husband thinks a larger single brad should work.  I have 3/8 " brass plated brads which will work without puncturing the walls, but they are brass plated.  What has worked for you? What advice can you share?  I built full size kitchen cabinets with less frustration, and you really can light  up a dill pickle.
    • Brand new to dollhouses - Erica
      By hellogingy
      Hi,
      My name is Erica and I recently ordered the Greenleaf Willow kit (due to arrive tomorrow), as well as purchased a partially complete Greenleaf Garfield (which is HUGE!!!!).  The Garfield has quite a bit of damage and work that needs to be done so it is more of a restoration/build.  Super excited to join this group and build my dollhouses.  I'm 32 years old and have never had one for myself, and I have two boys so I figured I better make one for me since I probably won't have a daughter.  I live in San Diego, CA.  I have two boys age 10 and 7... and a small boston terrier named Roxy.