Hanta virus and Rat Bite Fever

rodentraiser

So I know this is a one in a thousand chance that anyone here will ever run into these viruses, but I thought I would post this as so many of our members get old dollhouses that have been stashed away for a long time, sometimes not under ideal conditions.

If you go to pick up an old dollhouse, ask where it's been stored for the last several years. If you even suspect mouse droppings, use gloves and a mask to clean the house. Here is some more information from the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/hps/index.html

Rat Bite Fever is spread through rat urine. If you think a dollhouse has been stored where rats have run across it, it's a good idea to thoroughly clean all exterior and interior areas of the dollhouse.

https://www.cdc.gov/rat-bite-fever/index.html

Again, the risk of getting anything like these diseases is slim, but I just saw an article where an Oregon woman died from Hanta virus (https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/apxoregon-woman-dies-from-hantavirus-pulmonary-syndrome/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=RSS_seattle-news), so it does pay to be careful out there. I love our hobby, but not to the point where I want to endanger my life with it.

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

Wow I didnt even know Hanta virus was in the US. I thought that was just an Australia thing.

Hanta virus has been in the US, there was a near-epidemic of it in the southwest at one point.  And don't forget that rodents still are vectors for plague.

You're welcome, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. As long as you're aware of hanta virus, that's what counts. I'd been personally gone through old building for years when I was with SAR and never had a problem.

As for the Rat Bite Fever, I was keeping mice when I had some wild rats get into my trailer. Those rats were infected with Rat Bit Fever and passed it on to my mice. In the end, some of them needed to be euthanized and we sent a body to UC Davis to find out what was going on and the result came back as Rat Bite Fever. By this time, I had been handling all the mice (and gross as it is to some people, I snuggled and kissed them, too - they loved that) and my vet was also handling them while pregnant. Neither of us caught anything from the mice that were infected.

But if you have rats outside, it's a good idea to get all your cats and dogs vaccinated, especially for leptospirosis.

Hanta virus was originally known as Four Corner's Disease, but now in the US it's known as Sin Nombre disease (the disease without a name).

By the way, guess what one of my other hobbies is. LOL

All of my dogs are well vaccinated so no worries there.

Domestic rats and mice are lovely, my kids kept both and I cuddled them too, especially the rats which are charming pets.

I could not hazard a guess at you other hobby though!!

You probably breed miniature rabbits if I look at your avatar and you wanted a place near to access to a dog training club so my bet is you are into obedience . Maybe you are training the rabbits to music LOL Can we expect to see you at the Westminster show or Crufts maybe?

Westminster, Crufts, and the Golden Gate Kennel Club only take champions of record in their entries. I doubt I'd have a champion dog, so I would never qualify for an entry. For one thing, I'd never want to have an unaltered male or female dog.

I did do obedience for 10 years. My dog got his AKC UDT title, his AD from the Schutzhund club, his WAC (working aptituide certificate) from the Doberman Pinscher Club of America and passed an all breed temperament test. He marched on a drill team and I did search and rescue with him. We had a great time.

My other hobby (well, one of many) is viruses and epidemics.

That's a squirrel in my avatar and I bred and raised mice for pets and for show. I also "raised" and showed model horses. All my models have a name and a pedigree. LOL