Another one to add to the hoard. Heritage!!

stickyfingers

I snagged this Heritage off of a local sale page for $25. It's in horrible condition, but still seems to want to be loved, so I'll give it a go. My main issue so far with this rehab will be the windows and door. Every single one of them is damaged in some way, and looking at how it's constructed, I'm not sure how I'll be able to fix that.

heritage front.jpg

Oh, that poor baby! You have a challenge ahead, but I love the Heritage and I bet you can make something great with it. It really does look like the beginnings of a decaying, possibly haunted house somewhere out in the middle of nowhere.

I have a half-built Heritage that I'm puzzling over--I want to make some changes to my original plan, but that's going to require some creative repainting if I can't disassemble some of the things I've already done. And the stairs...oy, what a space waster, and right in the line of sight of that room. 

Please keep us in the loop as you work on this one. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

• Like 1

Thanks! The stairs and the railing have already been removed! it's a neat stair design, but way, way too big. I found a copy of the building instructions online, so that should help with some redesign choices. I have a lot of real-life things going on, but hope to get some structural repairs done and get it cleaned soon. Whatever it ends up being, I'm going with an aged, distressed look. It's just too much of a mess to be a "pretty" house, and I've been wanting to improve my aging and distressing skills.  

Thanks!! I'm excited to get to work on it. Once I get it clean and stable, I'm going to strip that paint off of the hardwood floors, then stare at it until I make some decisions. I think I'll put a small roof over the front door, rather than replace the porch and balcony. I like what Brae did with her Heritage, and how it changed the proportions of the front of the house.

Now that I'm looking it over again, it has many issues. Many. Nothing that can't be fixed or mitigated, though, so it ought to be a fun challenge.

First issues: the builder glued squares of wood to the floors where the splices are done, so the ceiling of the floor below has random wood bits. I would love to scrape that off, but a bit afraid the floors might collapse if I do.  I was thinking I could scrape them off, then reinforce the splice with glue. If it still seems shaky, add a wooden beam (to look intentional) across the splice. Any thoughts? Same issue with the side walls.

ALL of the windows and door have some damage, mostly to the plastic glass. I *might* be able to replace that plastic, but if not, how weird would it look to leave the glass out all together?  

If the house is to be haunted or young children play with it, missing glass (and doors) is perfectly acceptable.  What about adding architectural posts under that intentional beam to stabilize the floor?

• Like 1

That's a great idea Holly! When I clean it and really give it a good going over, I'll see what choices I have. I'm planning to fill in the holes that were used for stairs and attic ladder, so I may end up covering the ceilings with a template, anyway.

My first thought for the house was "haunted" but I don't know if I want a haunted house quite this big. Second thought was "shabby" but now I'm thinking of maybe shabby abandoned house. Don't know. Will clean it up and fiddle with it and see what the house says.

Up until a few days ago when we finally got rid of it, I had a large dog kennel in our backyard. The dogs never used it but I would lock myself inside it to do my spray painting :) 

• Like 2