Dollhouse Bases

third_hand

Howdy everyone! I've been especially quiet on here lately (mostly lurking :)) on account of work and family changes in RL. My Orchid is near structural completion. The interior is ready for furniture and tiny, lovely things, but I'm still working on the porch (bashed from a few scraps and some constructions of my own) and some of the gingerbread. Of course, this progress story excludes shingles, but I'll get to them! So, in short, though my member album is currently empty I hope to have photos up soon! I've been stubborn and wanted to wait until the build was "ready" before taking photos :p. I'm learning (the hard way) there's no such thing!

However, in order to get this exterior finished (including my greenhouse and 'cellar' additions), I need a little help! What do y'all use for bases on your lovely little homes? Do folks normally use plywood or some form of foam? How far out beyond the house's foundation do folks generally build the base? In order to support the additions, I think it would be best to have my base in place before I attach them to the sides of the house (unless, of course, you all don't feel it's necessary). Also, is there any particular base that is better/worse for landscaping?

Happy to hear your thoughts or be guided to a helpful thread :D Hope everyone is having a pleasant summer so far! 

I’ve used plywood cut and trimmed to the size I want, plywood covered with foam, no base...just the foundation, picture frames, and currently for Moonlight Retreat a plywood round. Whatever I use, I usually paint it with either a sponge or stippled coat of browns and greens to cover with landscaping materials. I sand the underside of the base smooth...sometimes I seal it, and I add felt feet to keep the wood from coming into contact with furniture surfaces. :) 

It really depends on how much landscaping I feel like doing or the house wants.  I usually use a piece of plywood and glue on foam for sculpting and sometimes model railroad "grass".  for the farm I painted the patches of grass & weeds and glued on dried bits.

I only have one caution concerning the base.  DON'T do what I did!  I wanted lots of landscaping for my Beacon Hill and I set it o a 3/4" plywood board that is 30"x60".  It works very well, EXCEPT I can't get it through doorways.  So I always have to separate the house from the landscape to move it.  OOOOOPS!

6 hours ago, Lee L. said:

I only have one caution concerning the base.  DON'T do what I did!  I wanted lots of landscaping for my Beacon Hill and I set it o a 3/4" plywood board that is 30"x60".  It works very well, EXCEPT I can't get it through doorways.  So I always have to separate the house from the landscape to move it.  OOOOOPS!

Hi, Lee, and welcome to the forum! I'd love to see your Beacon Hill with its generous landscaping. When you've made five posts, you can open an album in the Gallery to share photos with us. :)