Which house is this

Propoflady

Hi, Cyndi. Welcome to the forum! It is definitely fixable. How nice that you will finish what your sis-in-law started. Several members here have successfully completed rehabs in far worse shape. Feel free to ask questions. There's no point in trying to reinvent the wheel. :D 

• Like 1

I picked up the Columbia at a yard sale.  It was in worse shape than your and I gave it a new lease on life.  I was happy the guy didn't charge for the spiders. 

Wood on mine was pretty damaged so I did a faux stucco exterior with orange shutters.  The grandmother who adopted it loves the color.  

Hi Cyndi - That is so nice that you'll be rehabbing the house. I'm sorry to hear of your SIL's passing.

It is the DuraCraft Columbian. I completed mine from an old kit last fall. Yours might be a little tougher, since you'll have to paint around window frames etc., but you could always go gingerbread like I did so the frosting will help!

IMG_6415.JPG

• Like 5

Did your sister-in-law share with you her vision for the house? Or will you listen to what the house tells you and do what seems natural to the house? As you can see, this house lends itself to a wide variety of themes and décor.

What a sweet house - good luck with finishing it! It's lovely that you're carrying on your SIL's work. 

I'm currently fixing up my childhood dollhouse (exterior was finished, but never the interior). Patience, sandpaper and a small mirror (I'm using an empty makeup compact) has helped me navigate most of the nooks and crannies as I have been working, especially around the staircase. Also, I'd suggest seeking out short-handled paint brushes if you're going to do any interior painting, even for a base coat. 

4 minutes ago, sadie05 said:

Also, I'd suggest seeking out short-handled paint brushes if you're going to do any interior painting, even for a base coat. 

It's easy enough to cut the handle to a comfortable length.

23 minutes ago, KathieB said:

It's easy enough to cut the handle to a comfortable length.

True! I've been using plastic-handled craft brushes for some of the details/corners, and while the length is comfortable for my hand, the angles at which I'm navigating (stairwell), my brush handle is banging into the ceiling or walls. 

1 hour ago, Propoflady said:

Thanks for the painting help.  I have been looking at it wondering if it is just going to adsorb paint or will it cover easy enough.

I've been using Valspar paint with primer in ultra white (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Reserve-Eggshell-Latex-Interior-Paint-and-Primer-in-One-Actual-Net-Contents-32-fl-oz/50262223) after sanding with a 320 grit to smooth out any rougher surfaces. I've gleaned from these forums that interior house paint is good for primer, and this is what I was able to pick up quickly from my local store. 

I'm putting 2 coats on areas that I'm covering with wallpaper or flooring, and 3 coats on anything I'm leaving white, as the plywood on my dollhouse is thirsty, and the third coat is giving it a nice smooth finish. I'm not very far along, but here's my gallery if you want a peek at my progress to date: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8240 

16 minutes ago, Propoflady said:

Where do you buy wallpaper?

I occasionally find sheets of dollhouse wallpaper in big box craft stores and, rarely, in thrift stores.  I also use regular wallpaper in tiny prints and designs, scrapbook papers, occasionally gift wrap and fabric in small prints.

• Like 1

I have used scrapbook paper for small rooms and regular dollhouse wallpaper for larger rooms.  Since I don't like to spend too much on wallpaper, I have bought the 18 sheet assortment packs of wallpaper from miniatures.com (also known as Hobby Builders Supply) and overall have been able to use enough from each pack to make it cost effective when purchased during a sale.  I think the next sale is June 28 - July 5th.

I have also bought a large pad of watercolor paper from Joann's (with 60% off coupon) to cover the walls and ceilings and then paint the paper on the walls.  The paper gives the ceiling and walls a nice texture and hides the fact that I don't like to do a lot of sanding.

Of course, I do paint the wood with primer or paint/primer before applying any paper to the walls and ceiling.

It is wonderful that you are going to finish the house your sister-in-law started.

• Like 1

Linda, this is probably more information than you were asking for, but here is what I have been doing.  Only time will tell how successful.

Before putting paper on wall or ceiling, I paint the wood with Kilz primer, but lately have been using a very large can of Oops paint called Behr Premium Plus Ultra Interior Matte Paint and Primer in One.

I use a 1" foam brush to apply MiniGraphics Wallpaper Mucilage -- sometimes I brush it on the wood and sometimes on the watercolor paper.  I have noticed that if I apply it too thick gravity causes a build up at the bottom and if too thin it doesn't stick well.  Not sure how correct this is, but I have noticed that when I do not at least cut some slits in the paper where the window and door openings are the paper seems not to adhere as well.  I have not tried other brands of dollhouse wallpaper paste.

I have used the watercolor paper three ways:   1) discovered it works best for me to paint the watercolor paper after it is applied.  Have been using sample paints from big box store.  I really like the look of the texture of the watercolor paper, but it is easy to miss little spots as the paper is not smooth.

2)  I have mucilaged (probably not a real word) the dollhouse wallpaper to the watercolor paper before applying to wall. 

and 3) I have applied the watercolor paper to the wall with mucilage (allowing it to dry or not to dry), then applied mucilage to the top of the watercolor paper and then placed the dollhouse wallpaper on it.

I use Strathmore Watercolor paper which is advertised as acid free, heavy weight and for wet media.  Buy it in pad of large sheets.

• Like 1