Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dura-Craft Newberg Help

6 posts in this topic

Hello,

I stumbled upon a Newberg at a local thrift shop for $3 the other day & obviously couldn't pass bringing it home. It was spray painted pink, had glitter glue adorning the exterior window casings & the roof was a lovely sponge painted gold & purple -- OOF. Anyhow, I've repainted the exterior to mimic local Victorian home I'm in love with, but wanted to reach out for some suggestions to replace the missing trimmings for the arched window frames. Reframing the square frames was easy enough, I just used some bass wood from the craft shop, but for the curved frames I'm at a standstill. Would you suggest cardstock or mat board? I supposed  I could cut them all from wood, but it would be pricey & I'd likely ruin quite a few in the process. 

I'd also love some suggestions to add back the lovely gingerbread work to the window panes. I was thinking just adding the designs to some clear plastic with a paint pen...I've attached the house as it stands currently. 

36661656_10156540932709553_8963183446344073216_n (1).jpg

1 person likes this

Your windows look like my newburg.   The plastic insert has a design.  I'd post a picture,  but cant from my phone  sorry

I would use the mat board. You can glue several pieces to make it the same thickness. You can also sand the edges if you have any bumps.

I think you are on the right track with the paint pen, but there is also nail tape that can be used to make  lines without any ink bleeding. 

The house color is really nice, and you got a great deal. I hope this helps, and welcome to the forum.

1 person likes this

Stacy, do post an intro in the Newcomers' Forum when you have a minute.  Meanwhile, yes, you can use card (poster board), matboard or chipboard (the heavy cardboard that paper tablets are backed with); they are easier to cut than wood and can be glued together to match thickness of your wood pieces and sanded, as Carrie has pointed out.

1 person likes this

I made great stained glass windows by googling them on my pc, and saving the pictures to file.  I put a dozen or so on a thumb drive took it to FEDX and had them printed on transparency, you can get a lot on 1 transparency.  Next I cut them out and leaving space around each one, went back to copy center and had them laminated.  One big sheet. but be sure to leave space between each window so you won't break the seal when you cut them out, and have enough room to fill the window opening.  HINT:  You can print them on white paper before you do the transparency to be sure the size and that you like the look.     You could do just the top stained glass and the rest plain.

I recently saw a YouTube video of someone making window grids for dollhouse windows using nail tape. It worked very well, and she had a site where you could download different patterns to use for the windows. All she did was taped the printed grids onto a table, laid the plastic over the top, taped that down, and used the nail tape to tape over the lines. I’ve tried doing lines with a paint pen...it didn’t work out very well. Here is the link to the video:https://youtu.be/x6vb0w43zRo. Good Luck! 

Edited by hdatsopoulos
1 person likes this