Hello from Iowa!

Hello, 

I am fairly new to minis, but have always had an affinity for interior design. My husband & I have flipped/restored a few homes, so working on a tiny version has been a nice little adventure. I have an antique dollhouse my grandpa built my mother that I have been WAY too terrified to touch, but just recently found a Newburg for $3 at a thrift shop. I figured for less than I spend on my coffee I wouldn't be too upset if the whole thing was a wash. 

It's been fine so far. Lots of prep work & research into building some miniature items to fit the space better. I currently have an attempt at some kitchen cabinets gluing in our dining room :) Thank you in advance to everyone who helps me along the way!

• Like 1

Welcome to the little family, Stacy.  I also like to make everything I put into my little houses.  I have a Newburg in its box still (actually I have an awful lot of houses still in their boxes...).  I'll be interested to see how you do your front steps.

• Like 1

Hi, Stacy!  I live in California now, but was born in Iowa and spent a lot of my summers growing up at the Iowa Great Lakes.  I second Carrie's suggestion of Kris Comfort's blog.  She has a lot of great projects,as well as some really good advice on techniques.  Looking forward to seeing your new "flip."

• Like 1

8 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Stacy.  I also like to make everything I put into my little houses.  I have a Newburg in its box still (actually I have an awful lot of houses still in their boxes...).  I'll be interested to see how you do your front steps.

I haven't quite decided how to tackle the steps. They were not attached to the dollhouse when I discovered her. I think she'd be lovely with wrought iron steps, but I'll have to peek at a few more tutorials on handling wire first!

16 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

If you haven't found Kris Comfort's blog, she has some great furniture tutorials. http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/

I discovered the blog via Pinterest early on! Just amazing tutorials & super informative. That blog is the reason I decided to try to tackle building  the kitchen custom rather than purchasing a kit or finished piece.  

I'm working the sink into the bay window, which helps open the flow considerably...that is if it works out ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

Hi, Stacy!  I live in California now, but was born in Iowa and spent a lot of my summers growing up at the Iowa Great Lakes.

You don’t by chance mean lake Okoboji?

First off...sorry Stacy for hijacking your intro.  I’m just surprised to find anyone outside of Iowa who’s heard of lake Okoboji.  Deb my parents vacationed there every summer from like 1974-79.  People don’t do that anymore.  Good memories, I didn’t realize it at the time but looking back my parents were kind of like groupies.  They followed this band there every year...too funny. 

• Like 2