New here & to dollhouses!

Well, houses of this size at least! I've gotten really into the DIY miniature room  kits which are on a slightly smaller scale than these houses I think but I just ordered myself an Orchid house and I'm so pumped to get into it! I'm just cruising the site right now for general advice and ideas! 

As an offering as a newcomer here I'll share a pic of one of my previous little room kits I put together.

34319508_10211283086983219_4415656083176030208_n.jpg

Edited by nancydee
  • Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Nancy.  I started out with a rather large dollhouse, the Dura-Craft San Franciscan (the next-to-last version) and made lots and lots of mistakes.  I have kept on at it for a couple of years or so and I don't make quite so many mistakes.  Greenleaf kits like the Orchid are a lot more forgiving.

• Like 1

HI Nancy!!  I started out the same way!  I did a couple of those cute 1:24 scale kits and was hooked!  I made the mistake however of buying the biggest 1:12 scale I could at that time (and get it shipped to NZ) - the Pierce!!  I'm still working on it - although a few other projects have crept in along the way! :D 

• Like 2

Hi, Nancy, and welcome to the forum. Many of us cut our miniature teeth on Greenleaf's Orchid. It's a sweet house built as is and lends itself to bashing/modification. You will find many examples here. 

The most basic advice is to dry fit (hold together with tape to assure correct fit; some tabs may need to be trimmed or slots enlarged for a perfect fit), and don't use hot glue. The instructions with the kit were written eons ago, and hot glue formulation has changed; it will dry up over time and the house will fall apart. 

• Like 1