Bedroom ceiling

Hi all, I am new here and I don't know a lot about dollhouses, but just reading some of the threads has me all excited to get started.  I have a beautiful dollhouse from childhood that my dad fixed up for me.  I think he got it from a garage sale, pretty basic, particle board I think.  He made and painted individual pieces of siding and roof shingles to cover the boring painted-on house exterior and also added shudders.  I had so much fun with that house as a kid, and now I want to freshen it up for my daughter.

The inside walls and floors just have painted on wallpaper and floor patterns, and I got some great tips from other posts for putting wallpaper over it with scrapbook paper.  But I discovered today that I had drawn a large (and ugly) flower on one of the ceilings when I was a kid.  How do I cover this?

The ceiling is the particle board material, but not shiny and smooth like the walls, it has some texture.  Obviously, real houses don't have wallpaper on the ceiling, so that won't work, so I'm guessing I should paint over it?  Of course, that means painting all the ceilings to match but that's fine.  Any recommendations on the type of paint to use?  Thank you!

You definitely can put wallpaper on a ceiling! I have a roll of (life sized) wallpaper that I got years ago at Lowe's, it's off-white with some texture, and I use it as the ceiling in all of my houses. Or you could use white or off-white scrapbook paper.

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum family, Amy.  I have seen papered ceilings in 1:1 houses.  I use regular interior latex housepaint in a flat finish to prime dollhouse surfaces with.  I would first try to sand off as much of that flower as you can before priming and papering the ceiling.  I would also prime the walls before papering, to cover up the old printed wall stuff.

After you have fixed up this house for your daughter you might think about making one for YOU to play with.

I use textured scrap book paper from Hobby Lobby.  Its cheap....like a buck a sheet.  I make a template with cardstock and use modge podge matt for glueing.  I am new here and cannot post pics yet but I will when I can.  Hope this helps.