Just finished my first house- A Rescue

Leigh Ann

I’m brand new to dollhouses. I’ve recently become drawn to giving new life to old dollhouses, after buying a dirty, basic -styled house at a flea market for $20. When I saw it at the flea market, I thought about how someone once took a lot of time to make that house for a loved one...yet the passage of time had caused it to become an over-looked object of little to no value. I wanted to pay respect to the house and the unknown person who once took the time to build it for someone or some reason. So, I decided to buy it. I vowed that I would one day fix it up. With absolutely zero experience in miniatures or dollhouses, I went with the basic style to create the look of Jamestown colonial. I’m satisfied with my first attempt, despite having no idea what I was doing. I’ve just started my second dollhouse transformation . What was once a dilapidated Greenleaf Orchid given to me by a family member, I’m currently turning it into an  “aged” stone Tudor.

• Like 5

Leigh, I hope you took a series of "before", "during" and "after" pictures, and that you will do the same for your Orchid.  When you have made five posts you can post them in albums in the Gallery here.

• Like 1

Yep. I sure did take before and after pictures. I tried posting, but was having trouble. I figured it was probably because I was new. Your post confirmed for me the reason. So, I will make 5 posts so I can level up and get some pictures posted. It might take me a bit to learn the ropes  in this forum, but I’m so inspired by all the creative artists around here. I just had to join!

There really is something about bringing an old house back to life... I agree. It’s kind of like being connected to it’s history. Maybe that’s how those art historians feel when they painstakingly restore old paintings in museums by the great masters. I plan on posting photos once I am given clearance 

I would love to rescue one but have yet to find one . I think in the Bay Area they put a high price on everything . Also to many are just to big I'm not up for a really big house for a while. I do keep a watch on the adds. The right one will come along I'm sure.

I got started in dollhouses the same way - my Mom had a 1949 Keystone of Boston that made it through 3 generations of our family girls playing with it, so I spent about a year on the rehab, learning lots of stuff along the way. Took lots of before/after pics too. Since then I've done 3 Greenleaf houses, but I'm feeling like looking for another old house to re-do. I check the Thrift shops all the time, Craigslist, eBay. Would love for one to fall into my lap...like seeing one on side of the road etc like some of the stories I've heard.