help w/ replacement door

shamrockgirl18

I bought my Tennyson at a Goodwill a few years ago. It was a bargain (one dollar!) but it was missing alot of pieces, including the doors.

Now that I am almost done with the siding, I bought a replacement door at Hobby Lobby. It's a good quality door and it looks nice.  But the door frame is bigger than the opening in the house! I don't really have the tools required to cut into the house to widen the opening.

Has anyone else used these replacement doors in Greenleaf houses before?

Looking for advice/suggestions on this issue.

Yes, but not all doors are the same. If you are wanting to use a Housework’s door you’ll have to enlarge the opening(s). You could ask here if anyone has spare parts they could send to you. You may be able to order the door part sheet from Greenleaf.

I have spare door pieces for 1:24 scale but not 1:12. 

Measure the opening and then start looking in online dollhouse stores for something suitable.  Someone her, or on on eBay may have oen for a good price.

Also, post a picture of the door and one of the door next to the opening so we can see if it can be modified.

An inexpensive drywall saw or hacksaw blade will cut the opening. I wrap a few paper towels around the hacksaw blade to make a handle, you don’t need to purchase the handle. 

My preferance is this drywall’s saw for about $5 at HD:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-15-206-Jab-Wood-Handle/dp/B00002X21P/ref=pd_aw_lpo_469_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XS2K51DSRQC91TF3NEF8

I would make a door (I do this anyway, to replace the kit doors).  I used a Houseworks door for the kitchen in my Coventry Cottage, I shaved the opening bigger with my utility knife and used strips of scrap wood under the door frame to fill in the extra space (the doors are made for 3/8" wood).I like Denise's suggestion.

1 hour ago, Sable said:

An inexpensive drywall saw or hacksaw blade will cut the opening. I wrap a few paper towels around the hacksaw blade to make a handle, you don’t need to purchase the handle. 

My preferance is this drywall’s saw for about $5 at HD:

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-15-206-Jab-Wood-Handle/dp/B00002X21P/ref=pd_aw_lpo_469_lp_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XS2K51DSRQC91TF3NEF8

Thank you! I did not realize such a saw would be so affordable. I would like to try this method.

I've used Housework doors on Greenleaf  houses before. The wood on the houses are thin enough I just used a utility knife. Doors come with templates so you have a guide to use to cut them. My doors that came with the kits never hang right for me, I know it's me, so prehung doors it is!!