FH 505 Farmhouse newbie

Chikkity47

HI everyone! My husband  bought me a Fh 505 farm house  on Facebook for $40 for our anniversary and I have no idea where to start. I am new new newborn new to this, literally need everything dumbed down. I have been researching duracraft dollhouses and I am having trouble finding anything on 505 farmhouses. I am a visual person and need to see to learn, does anyone know of any video's or helpful tutorials for super newbies? I did find a victorian doll house tutorial but I felt he was skipping basic info and steps that people with no experience need to know. Any info and tips are greatly appreciated!

Edited by Chikkity47
specify dollhouse type

Hi, Tara.  I'm assuming your VH505 is a Dura-Craft kit.  My first kit build was the Dura-Craft SF555 that came with a video that was marginally helpful, because it showed a good way to assemble the tongue & groove sections that made up the walls, and also showed that when things didn't quite fit it was OK to hack or saw on them to get things to fit.  I made LOTS of mistakes on that one, and a whole lot fewer ones on my second Dura-Craft kit, the Cambridge (no video).  The instruction booklet included schematics and cross section full size renderings of the long frame pieces and a few photos to go along with assembly directions.  If you begin to post your questions in the Dura-Craft subforum members who have built the VH505 can reply there. 

When you have made five posts you can make an album of your build in the gallery here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, havanaholly said:

... If you begin to post your questions in the Dura-Craft subforum members ...

Umm, Holly, the Dura-Craft forum is where this is posted. :D 

Is there a picture of the hinge pins that you could scan and post? I'm thinking a brad or a bit of wire might be a substitute but am not sure how or where these are to be used.

Aha.  On both the San Franciscan and the Cambridge the doors had extended bits on the top and bottom of one side that fit into spaces at the doorway (another use for the dry fit).  Perhaps your farmhouse requires them to be glued on separately?  When I pin-hinge the doors I make I use regular steel dressmakers' pins.

I'm sorry about the missing bits.  Back when Dura-Craft was still in existence you could send them a list of whatever was missing in your kit and they would replace it for free.

Kathie, thank you for the idea. I did find some pins on a doll house parts website, hopefully they work. If not I will try your idea.

Holly, The missing parts are a bummer, definitely learned a lesson about trusting people when they say everything is in the box.. I can't start much until the parts I ordered come in. I have to measure out and cut out a whole bunch of little pieces too. I am so impatient I want to get cracking! Haha. I am able to start some of the foundation and little things but I can already tell that I will have more questions for the doll house veterans on here.

• 2 years later...

Hi @Chikkity47

I am also building this dollhouse. 

I've had the kit since 1994. 

The instructions are my nemesis. I'm so frustrated and have messed up countless times but I'm still determined to get it done! I would love to connect with you and see where you're at now. Maybe commiserate, share pointers, whatever. I'm about to install the floors and walls. 

Best

Katie 

Edited by Aquarius Katie

• 3 years later...

Did you get the instruction booklet that came with the kit?  Dura-Craft went out of business many years ago.  There may still be a seller on Ebay that sells Dura-Craft kit parts.  I described in another post (of yours/) on the subject of the Dura[-Craft farmhouse siding how the milled-in siding was usually supplied, and it wasn't in nice, solid sections of wall.