Pierce with missing pieces

Mary11

Looking to purchase a Pierce from someone who bought it to build and did for the most part but pieces needed to finish are missing. But, I'll replace stuff on it I don't care about that. What I was wondering is can it be papered after it's assembled? I built the Garfield and I know there were rooms I had to paper as I built. Since it's similar does that apply to the Pierce too?

I think a lot of the Garfield is similar to the Pierce.  I think you would need to paper the stairway area before the stairs go in.  I would also paper or otherwise finish the interior of those towers before attaching them.

I replied to your other post.  When I rehab a house I'm happiest if the first builder followed the instructions and used hot glue, because then I can go ahead and take it completely apart with my heat gun and scrape off all the old hot glue and rebuild it properly with carpenters' wood glue, decorating as I go those areas that I know I;'ll never be able to do after it's together (like around stairs).

Mary, I combined your two posts into this thread and moved the thread into the Greenleaf-specific forum for you.

Good luck with your Pierce! Do you know which pieces are missing?

Thank you, I thought I moved it. Porch railings and roof for sure which aren't a problem. I'm waiting for more pics to see if there's anymore.  I'm more concerned with repapering and if I'd have to disassembled.

I often wonder why people build the Greenleaf houses without doing any priming or staining, and especially going ahead to install the doors and windows.  I had a Pierce that had originally been built with hot glue and painted without priming; the doors were a mess and the windows were destroyed during dis-assembly with my heat gun, so that's how I got started making new doors and windows.  We moved from N of Tallahassee, FL, to SW AL and in the process the Pierce got destroyed beyond my capacity to repair; so I shall watch your progress with interest.

I don't know. I've always painted the pieces, just felt sealing them was a good idea, I was afraid the bare wood may discolor the paper. Anyway, can't wait to get her! This week is going to be long!!!

• 3 months later...

Hello, I'm new to the forum, but really enjoying it. Currently building a Pierce and had to fabricate many parts that were missing in an incomplete kit. If you need any templates or tracings, I'd be happy to help. 

Kurt J.