Making molds and casting minis

Shareb

Right, if I'm to be true to the Apothecary shop I'm copying, which I'd like to be, most of the bottles and jars are actually white ceramic as opposed to glass.  Now, after spending a couple of hours searching miniature white ceramic jars etc, I've decided to get the amount I need I'm either going to be bankrupt or I'll have to come up with a cunning new way of creating what I want.  To create what I want I have two choices: Beads - putting them together in a shape that would work or Molds - creating a silicon mold of the shape I do want and then casting either silicon or resin minis.  I'm sure that it probably isn't half as easy as it sounds but wondered if anyone here has tried it and if so, how did you find it worked?

(Alternatively if anyone knows where I can find bulk gorgeous ceramic bottles/jars for little money I'd love to hear of it!!)

Can you find bottles in the shapes you want in glass or resin and paint them with a gloss white paint to mimic ceramic?

If you make a mold, you could also make them of white poly clay with a coat of clear gloss to mimic ceramic. Maybe not quite as messy or expensive as casting in resin.

• Like 1

REbecca there is a China seller on ebay US his name is onlylove2014  If you tap in        mini small cork stopper glass vial jars he will pop up he has 3 sizes 1ml 50 for 5.99 2ml 50 for 1059 and 5 ml 50 for 11 69 ad free shipping/These are are nice glass vials with cork tops

• Like 1

Rebecca, Since authentic white ceramic apothecary jars aren't transparent, they need not be hollowed/ filled and you could invest in a block of white polymer clay (thinking of KathieB's suggestion) and just roll fat cylinders in the various sizes, flatten the ends, boil them like Anna does to cure them, decorate them (or resize RL apothecary labels and glue them on) and seal them with a gloss, and glue a bit of cork to the tops.

• Like 2

Let me know if you’d be interested in white porcelain jars. I have a mold for those in different sizes. Alternatively, just some thoughts...making them from polymer clay, or wooden dowels in different thickness cut to size and painted white with several layers of gloss varnish. My first thought was glass jars painted white using glass paint. 

But your question about making a mold. I have done that before and it’s pretty easy. I made a mold of something flat tho, not round. Definitely something to try to save money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252794072849

I just remembered this guy...used to buy a lot from him. His items are ceramic not porcelain so they’re pretty inexpensive. 

I’ve bought many of the ceramic pots from this vendor (for tiny plants :) ) and they are ceramic bisque and nicely made. They are unglazed. To get a glazed look I painted them with watercolor markers and then painted over them with a clear non-yellowing fingernail polish. The fingernail polish makes them look glazed. You could probably use ModPodge or some other quick drying glaze as well. This photo might not show how shiny they are. These pots are about 3/8 across at the top.

72318712-1B7B-4B3B-9335-619F47C49B5D.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow loads of info thank you all!!!!  I will start a new album titled Outlander Apothecary and put some of the reference pics in there.  The bottles he has on his shelves are utterly beautiful.  I have found some blown glass bottles similar - but they're about US$30 each!!  I've chatted with hubby and what I'm going to do is buy a few really nice bottles with lids that come off.  I won't spend $30 each but I don't mind spending a reasonable amount on them.  Then I'll attempt to cast those - not bothering about the lid coming off as they'll just line the shelves. 

Hubby is also really keen to try casting resin - he has some car parts in mind!  :D I've been looking at this brand which we can get here in NZ and it's not too expensive....  They have really, really good instruction videos too....

https://www.alumilite.com/

You can get resins that turn white when they're cured which is what I'll try first.  Hubby and I are going to research them tonight and place an order.  Hence I also want to buy some bottles and get them on the way.  Ginger jars are quite a nice shape and would work.  There are some really beautiful ceramics and bottles out there....I'd prefer just to buy from one - but I may end up choosing a couple of different sellers!!

19 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

REbecca there is a China seller on ebay US his name is onlylove2014  If you tap in        mini small cork stopper glass vial jars he will pop up he has 3 sizes 1ml 50 for 5.99 2ml 50 for 1059 and 5 ml 50 for 11 69 ad free shipping/These are are nice glass vials with cork tops

Thanks for that Jeannine - they're not exactly what I'm looking for this time however.  But I'll definitely keep his store in mind for future projects!!

13 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F252794072849

I just remembered this guy...used to buy a lot from him. His items are ceramic not porcelain so they’re pretty inexpensive. 

Yeah - they are good prices.  However a crock with lid is still NZ$2.20 plus shipping and they're not the beautiful shape I have in my head.  Would be keen to see your jar mold!!

15 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Rebecca, Since authentic white ceramic apothecary jars aren't transparent, they need not be hollowed/ filled and you could invest in a block of white polymer clay (thinking of KathieB's suggestion) and just roll fat cylinders in the various sizes, flatten the ends, boil them like Anna does to cure them, decorate them (or resize RL apothecary labels and glue them on) and seal them with a gloss, and glue a bit of cork to the tops.

I have thought about attempting to make some out of polymer clay.  I do need them to be almost identical however and I don't know how clever I am!!  I've not heard of boiling clay?

2 hours ago, Shareb said:

...I have thought about attempting to make some out of polymer clay.  I do need them to be almost identical however and I don't know how clever I am!!  I've not heard of boiling clay?

Anna has posted several times that she boils her polymer clay items.  I believe she has one pot that is ONLY used to boil the clay.  The trick is to get your items to cure at high heat.  You can make molds for polymer clay items, talcum powder is the releasing agent; that will get them all the same sizes.

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018‎ ‎6‎:‎54‎:‎58‎, Motorhead said:

I hope I have copied this right...see the link above for the directions of boiling clay....hth

Thanks Brandie!!

You might be able to get mini glass jars at dollar stores (or whatever they are called in New Zealand) or at places where nail art supplies are sold.  Look for something like this:  https://www.dollartree.com/assets/product_images_2016/styles/xlarge/227438.jpg    or like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8f/1d/80/8f1d805261306ebc0932cbeef847386e--glitter-bottles-mini-bottles.jpg   You can dump the glitter out and paint the bottles white. 

There is a vendor here in the US that sells very inexpensive pewter minis, including apothocary jars.  Ironically, I have a few I am painting to look like glass.  If I can find her info I will send it to you. 

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2018‎ ‎8‎:‎05‎:‎11‎, Contrary Housewife said:

You might be able to get mini glass jars at dollar stores (or whatever they are called in New Zealand) or at places where nail art supplies are sold.  Look for something like this:  https://www.dollartree.com/assets/product_images_2016/styles/xlarge/227438.jpg    or like this: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8f/1d/80/8f1d805261306ebc0932cbeef847386e--glitter-bottles-mini-bottles.jpg   You can dump the glitter out and paint the bottles white. 

There is a vendor here in the US that sells very inexpensive pewter minis, including apothocary jars.  Ironically, I have a few I am painting to look like glass.  If I can find her info I will send it to you. 

Yep - various types of dollar stores here!  Yes, it's pretty easy to get the regular bottles but I was looking for some with really lovely shapes.  I've now bought about 20 bottles from three different UK and US miniature shops and they're all on the way.  I have the mould making and resin casting kits ready and waiting for me!  I think it may take a few trys to get the moulds right but I'm looking forward to trying it!  Yes - would really like to see what she has on offer if you can find her info!  Thanks!

18 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I thought surely Phoenix Model Developments would have apothecary jars you could use for casting, but I couldn't find any.  However I did find this site:  https://minimumworld.com/shop-by-room/apothecary/pharmacy-shop/show/all/

Well ahead of you Holly!!  I have a package on the way from minimumworld and two more from other places!  I have about 20 bottles/jars coming and I am so hoping that some turn up before the weekend so I can play at casting!!!

Thanks Mike!  Very interesting link!

Yay - I had my first lot of bottles turn up today - all the way from Mainly Minis in NY.  Isn't it always the way though, the most expensive bottle I bought - a tiny hand blown perfume bottle at US$29, I wouldn't have bought had I seen them in person.  Instead I would have bought two of the cranberry Apothecary jars which, at only US$15 are much better value and absolutely gorgeous in person!!!

On 2018-07-16 08:35:08, havanaholly said:

Anna has posted several times that she boils her polymer clay items.  I believe she has one pot that is ONLY used to boil the clay.  The trick is to get your items to cure at high heat.  You can make molds for polymer clay items, talcum powder is the releasing agent; that will get them all the same sizes.

Yep, Anna does indeed boil Clay items. Never Done it with liquid fimo though, but just might have to Trying just because... and Holly is right about having a dedicates pot for it too. Just one of those small pots used for smelting butter I Think. 

Usually I get the water to a Slow Rolling simmer boil and then put the small pieces in it, depending in the items size it Will get a few minutes in there simmering away, then I either fish the items out using a Tea strainer as it is small enough, put into some cold water and then let them cool off and dry the items on some paper towel.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Anna said:

Yep, Anna does indeed boil Clay items. Never Done it with liquid fimo though, but just might have to Trying just because... and Holly is right about having a dedicates pot for it too. Just one of those small pots used for smelting butter I Think. 

Usually I get the water to a Slow Rolling simmer boil and then put the small pieces in it, depending in the items size it Will get a few minutes in there simmering away, then I either fish the items out using a Tea strainer as it is small enough, put into some cold water and then let them cool off and dry the items on some paper towel.

Wow!  I have never heard of this - I had no idea that it could be done!  Thanks for that Anna - I'll have to have a go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shareb said:

Wow!  I have never heard of this - I had no idea that it could be done!  Thanks for that Anna - I'll have to have a go!

Well, over here when I first encountered polyclays boiling was the recommended way of curing it (wayyyyy back , like more than 30years ago)) and it was only later the baking method was spoken of. The boiling seems to take away some of the shine on the surface, it could also make the Clay a tiny bit more brittle as I noticed when making hands but it also makes the surface a little easier to paint too so... haven't tried boiling stuff I have added chalk pastells too either though as I used to add shades in different ways earlier, ie with painting after curing. Looking forward to seeing what you do and hear about how it works for you.

• Like 1

I am getting so impatient for my bottles to turn up from two UK online shops!!!!  I ordered them about the 16th!  I have one lot which came from the US, but it's just three tiny bottles not the ones I want to try casting.  Patience is NOT my strongest point! :D