My Heritage really is haunted.

stickyfingers

As much as I love dollhouses, I do NOT like dolls in them.....especially vintage because they might be haunted and I'll freak out if one is in a different position one day LOL. None of mine have dolls in them. They creep me out. And call me weird, but I have a Bible in every build. Just feel like it should be there, sometimes buried in a pile of books on a bookcase, but it's there.

I also have an elephant in every build.

• Like 4

The woman I see isn’t sinister. Long hair, walking into the wall or window. She’s located in the reflection in the right pane, in the sunlit area...looks like she’s walking into the wall or the window pane as though it’s a large door.

The man’s face, which I couldn’t see for the longest time, is located above her. :) 

• Like 1

Now I see the woman too. Wow, you acquired  a house with layers of history it seems lol. Will this revelation effect the theme? Maybe the house chose you, rather than you choosing it....

• Like 2

The house might have chosen me. I browse Craigslist, ebay, Facebook for houses, and most often, don't find anything. This showed up on my Facebook feed at the end of a very long and very difficult day. I messaged the seller that I wanted the house, could she message me directions to pick it up? Nothing...came home the next day after another very long, hard, difficult day, and she had sent her address. I messaged her, could I come and get it now, or maybe tomorrow morning. Again, nothing....finally decided to just get in the car and go get it. Hot and tired, I drove to the address, and circled the block at least 4-5 times, because I couldn't find the house. Turns out it was down an unmarked winding gravel road. So there I was, dirty and sweaty, cash in hand, just as the sun was setting, and a few minutes later, the house was in my truck. Looking at it in the rearview mirror on the way home, it just looked haunted. I didn't want to copy Brae, but...wow.

Got it home and unloaded it into the garage, then gave it a quick look the next morning. It was really, really awful, but no more horrible than the Yellow house was when I got it. It was a few days later before I could really do anything to it, so I started on the roof. Really looking it over, cleaning those shingles, making a list of needed repairs, the feel of the house just started to change. I have a small collection of things set aside for a haunted/abandoned house, but this house was not it. As I scrubbed away glitter and crayon and dust, the house just seemed more...light. A few days later I spent the morning adding wood to the foundation and reinforcing the original build. Again, making lists of needed repairs, and chipping away at the ravages of time and abuse. I spent a morning stripping away the paint someone had put over the original floors. The boards are warped, and some are split and broken, but it looks just right.  

It didn't want to be dark and gloomy and "haunted" anymore. Light and lighter still, ideas just started to come to me. I dug through my stash again, one day after scraping and sanding and fiddling with it. I have all the flooring I need. I have a wonderful pink velvet sofa for the living room. I have a bathroom set. I was browsing for wallpapers, just to see if I liked anything, and I found that blue floral stripe that is just so, so pretty. Went to the craft store and found some scrapbooking papers, and on and on it goes. The house wants to be light and soft and warm and imperfect and happy, so it will be.

The original walls were never really finished with anything, but somewhere along the way, someone slopped that purple paint on everything. With the exception of that small window on the second floor, everything is moving right along. Ideas streaming in, finding just the perfect thing already in my stash, it's all just flying together. I was describing what it's like for me to rehab a house to an artist friend, and I said that with these old houses, they smell like old wood and their prior owners, so as I work away, I think about who built it, who did they build it for, why don't they still have it, what did they intend for the house? It's some of the most satisfying creative work I've ever done.       

• Like 2

If it turns out half as pretty as your Orchid, or the formerly Yellow House, it will be wonderful! I love the idea of letting some things be imperfect; it'll feel like a house with a real history. And everyone I know who owns a house more than a couple decades old is always complaining about all the projects they "should" complete. Why should the inhabitants of your Heritage be any different? :)

• Like 1

I don't see what you see., but as clear as a bell I see the animal on the right side.It looks like a sitting wolf ,so very real . I can see the expression on it's face, it perfect upright ears and it's front legs and chest

• Like 1

Linda I love that story, that is awesome. 

I hope you don’t mind my taking liberty with your photo to see if this helps, at least this is what I see. I can’t see the wolf Jeannine sees tho. 

What you’re describing reminds me so much of my journey with my Beacon Hill. At first I thought it would be spooky haunted but then I ended up painting the floors white and redoing it to be pretty but still have aged character. 

I also tried to do a little haunted house, the outside was black but then I ended up in pinks and cream and flowers on the interior. I don’t know why I don’t seem to have it in me for the real haunted ones. 

1DD55A4E-AA06-497D-B02A-1405DE721B70.jpeg

• Like 1

Don't feel bad, Katin; I don't "do" haunted, either.  When I built the Haunted House kit for the Team HH building blog it turned into an adorable little house; a coworker asked me to bring it in, which I stupidly did before taking the "finished" photo for the blog; she snapped it up and my part of the blog isn't there because I didn't have the last photos.

• Like 1