Frustration with arranging

Mini maniac

So, I am starting to move items into my 1978 Victorian but I find myself frustrated over the arrangement.  Its like nothing looks right to me and I am suddenly not as creative as I normally would be.  I love this part! Its my favorite part of all but why the frustration???  Does this happen to any of you? Is there a cure?    Should I just stop for a bit and take a break? 

Sometimes I arrange the room around a focal point. Like a vase of flowers or a fireplace, etc. when I get stuck or need inspiration (whether real life decor or minis) it helps to look at photos of styles that I like. Ralph Lauren is my favorite rl decorator, Brooke Tucker is my favorite mini decorator. 

• Like 1

When I get stuck on any phase of building or decorating, my tendency is to walk away. Sometimes when you come back to it, you'll see it with fresh eyes.

But sometimes you just have to keep poking at something until it clicks. My sister is making a quilt for me with fabric we picked out to blend with my living room colors. Yesterday she had all 48 squares finished and on her flannel board. Neither of us liked the way it looked ... too busy, too disorganized, colors fighting each other and jumping all over the place. We spent about 45 minutes moving the squares around and ended up with a lovely, cohesive design that makes the color pop rather than explode. We both knew we'd found the right arrangement the minute the last square was put into place. :D 

• Like 2

I just may be over thinking it.  I tend to do that.  I usually look at pinterest but right now I am disgruntled because the stuff on pinterest looks amazing and I am bombing, lol!  I think I will just take a day or two to clear the noggin. I just needed to know that the struggle is real with others out there.  Thanks for the advice.  Greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

I find that if I listen to what the house tells me it wants, it turns out a whole lot better; sometimes I also walk away for a few days, to give the house and me both a chance to figure out how to tell what it wants.

There are some things you can try. You need to be able to see the room from a different perspective, as if you were someone else and not the creator. Sometimes when you look at a photo of the room it'll look different than it does in RL. Another thing is to set up a mirror and look at the mirror image. I've done this when a painting just looks wrong, but I can't see my mistake till I've looked at the mirror image. Sometimes the photos I've taken of my miniature rooms look so much better to my eyes than the actual rooms.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dalesq said:

Yep, take a break. When you’re ready, you might take everything out and place the one thing you really want in the room, then build around that (like what Karin said). 

Sometimes when you do that, you will end up with the same pieces in the room, but in different places (like rearranging the furniture in your RL house).