Dollhouse Identification

Jules Beth

I'm a newbie here, so I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I stopped in my local resale shop yesterday and spotted this dollhouse and had to have it--it's the first dollhouse I've had since I was a child. I'm hoping someone can identify it from the pictures I'm attaching. The first and second floor porch railings are not finished yet and there are two dormers that were not put on yet. Part of the roof is hinged to reveal a seventh room, as can be seen in the third picture attached. Any ideas as to the kit maker and what model this is?

P1000512.jpg

P1000505.jpg

P1000506.jpg

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

When you first described the dormers I assumed that there were holes in the roof for them.  What fun you will have making those, should you choose to use the dormers.

No reason why they couldn't be fake dormers. Would alter the outside appearance of the house but leave the inside smooth for decorating. Nobody will be able to see both the front and back of the house at the same time. :D 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

...a dollhouse with only two single windows on the extended front. That's pretty unique.

With the downstairs window box and the upstairs lozenge-shaped decoration, my  guess is that the builder decided not to put windows those two places.

6 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

I think it's homemade, too. I would have remembered a dollhouse with only two single windows on the extended front. That's pretty unique.

If Kelly thinks it's homemade, it probably is. She is our go-to person for dollhouse identification. It is really a nice house. You are lucky to have it.

Thanks so much for the responses, everyone. I thought the window box and the little diamond-shaped window on the front (it's hard to see in the picture, but it's a yellow "stained glass" window) looked pretty unique. Looks like I have a one-of-a-kind dollhouse, which is good to know!

• 1 year later...

A picture of my house! I didn't think there was another like mine since the consensus was that mine was homemade. Thanks for posting the picture! Any idea what kit it's from?

I haven't decided about the dormers yet. In act, things got so busy after I got the house that I haven't done a thing to it yet. I have lots of plans for it--hopefully I'll find time soon to carry them out!

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019, 1:03:14, Jules Beth said:

A picture of my house! I didn't think there was another like mine since the consensus was that mine was homemade. Thanks for posting the picture! Any idea what kit it's from?

I haven't decided about the dormers yet. In act, things got so busy after I got the house that I haven't done a thing to it yet. I have lots of plans for it--hopefully I'll find time soon to carry them out!

Silkscreen printed windows are a pretty good clue that a house wasn't homemade. As for who did make it, yours appears to be of good quality wood so that rules out a host of low-quality manufacturers, none of whom will I name on this forum. I don't know who made it but Walmer is the only dollhouse manufacturer I've seen who uses that diamond window. That said, I've seen plenty of Walmer houses but never your house specifically identified as one of theirs.

Here is the Ebay link for the one I posted above. I see that I forgot to include it. Unfortunately, the seller does not name the manufacturer.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Childrens-Handmade-Wooden-Dollhouse-in-Great-Condition/401666919063?hash=item5d8536ca97:g:nskAAOSwPGtcHUp7

Interestingly, I recently came across another one, this time without dormers. This seller also does not say who made it. I see this house every so often on Craigslist, Ebay, and etc. If I ever see a listing that identifies the manufacturer, I will be sure to let you know.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/601170658/

DH Sun City.jpg

EDIT: Just looked for "Walmer" on Ebay. Here is one identified as a Walmer house that has that diamond-shaped window. The mullions are also silkscreened on this one and the shutters are somewhat similar with a planked look.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Walmer-Dollhouse-Wood-Fully-Assembled-Alexandria-VA-1-12-Scale-P-U-Only/133058207918

Edited by Kells
Add Ebay link for Walmer DH for sale

Now that I've seen there's more than one of those dollhouses, I'm sure it's made by a company. I don't think it's Walmer, though. The tops of the windows look like a Crafco house, but as far as I know, that company only made two variations of a house (Cape Cod and Southern Mansion type)  and those were made out of 1/8" plywood. Unfortunately, all my catalogs are put away and I won't be unpacking them anytime soon (there's another full treatment coming up again next Tuesday). Kells is right, though, if it has silk screened windows, it's not homemade.

What I know about dollhouses is what I've seen in person and in my catalogs. It's perfectly possible that many companies may have made dollhouses specifically for a toy store or children and never listed it in the Miniatures Catalogs because they were considered children's toys, not collectibles. There's a lot I may have missed.

There's a couple of these kinds of dollhouses where we see different ones all over and none of them seem to have a manufacturer. I'll keep my eye peeled, though.Those two side windows are very distinctive.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sable said:

I need to see the inside to be able to tell if it’s a Walmer. The window trim screams Walmer to me. The shutters are definitely Walmer, see attached photo with those shutters. Can you please post a photo of the interior?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=39980

The one listed on Offerup has pictures of the interior that might prove useful.

https://offerup.com/item/detail/601170658/

13 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

Kells is right, though, if it has silk screened windows, it's not homemade.

I may be right on that point but I am the very last person to ask about who made what, lol. This is funny but Google brought me to this thread originally. I was only looking for ideas about how to do dollhouse dormer windows because I'm having issues with my gambrel. This thread was one of the hits and I had just seen that dollhouse on Ebay. I hadn't paid any attention to the questions about who made it until Jules Beth replied to my post. Anyway, I'm sure one day it will pop up somewhere and one of us will see it.