Orchid house - when to paint, prime, stain etc.

I just purchased the Orchid house. I am new to dollhouse building. I was wondering should I paint the inside walls, wallpaper them and stain floors first before assembly? Or should I put it together first?  Also when I wallpaper, can I use regular craft paper with prints on them and use modpoge? Help!  

My first house was a restore/redecorate so I had no choice the first time, I had to do the walls and flooring with the rooms already built. But for the kits I've painted/wallpaper the walls and measured/layed flooring before I glued the house together. Crown molding and baseboards can always cover imperfections though if you're more comfortable building the house first, then decorating walls and floors.

For wallpaper, I've used real wallpaper and also high quality scrapbook paper.
Here's a tip I learned the hard way - when you apply the glue on the back of the paper, use a sponge and smear it out so it's covered 100% almost like you're painting it, instead of just using "lines" of glue. That way it sticks better over time, and doesn't cause any "warping" when the paper gets wet from the glue.

Fun, fun, fun!!!!!!! You'll be addicted in no time....

EDIT; Don't forget about the ceilings too :-)

Edited by Island-Shack
Forgot something..
  • Like 1

I build first but that’s because I like to wrap the paper around the corners so you don’t have corner gaps. I use s paint brush to paint on premixed wallpaper/border paste from HD or Lowe’s. Any craft paper will work. “Book it” (google a YouTube) first before applying the wet paper. Use an old credit card to smooth it out. Wipe excess paste with a damp paper towel.

• Like 1

Also, if you’ve never papered before try to avoid paper which require matching like plaids or fancy florals. Maybe put a solid in your dormers and a pattern on the walls. This will save you a few newbie headaches.

• Like 2

I used printed wallpaper for the first time in my Gypsy wagon.  I found that printing on matt photo paper made a HUGE difference to the colouring!  It was much brighter and sharper.  For my Pierce I decorated the inside as I built it.  I'm about to start my Parisian shop and I'm wondering as you are, how I'm best to attack it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sable said:

Also, if you’ve never papered before try to avoid paper which require matching like plaids or fancy florals. Maybe put a solid in your dormers and a pattern on the walls. This will save you a few newbie headaches.

Drop matching in mini is almost as much of a headache as it is in real life, only with sheets instead of rolls.  I also paint/ paper once the house is built (unless it's a stairwell or vestibule my hands will never fit into once it's glued together).  When the wallpaper is totally dry it's easy to set the dollhouse in front of a window to see where the door and window openings are, and cut around them.  I also paint the wallpaper paste onto the back of my wallpaper using a wide, soft brush.

• Like 1

I usually prime all the parts before they are built and then apply wallpaper after it is built. One thing that is making things easier for wallpapering/decorating is if I can, I leave the roof (or next floor/ceiling) off and that allows me to have an easier reach into the room.

• Like 2