Anyone built Grosvenor Hall

Beesy

Hi, I am currently working on Grosvenor Hall and the basement I have the shells assembled for both parts and I have the  front opening parts together too. I did not do any decorating before I started to build, but I did do a dry build. I feel the rooms are plenty big enough to paper etc after the shell  I have been delayed for several weeks due to some rather painful surgery 2 months ago but am hoping to get back to it in a couple of weeks. .. I have all the internal staircases built too.

I shall wall paper the ceilings first so I can run the lights in when I am ready The entrance hall is being done in wood paneling and the floors in tiny wood tile patterns, after wall papering and the floors done, I will do the baseboard and the crown molding and ceiling roses. I intend to do a lead roof I think

I hope your works out super good for you, it is a big house but very well designed and kitted.

I will try and set up an album once I get started again.

XX Jeannine

I have built the Grosvenor house but not with the mdf. I used the mdf panels as templates to recreate them out of plywood to make it lighter and easier to cut in additional windows. I am pretty much kit bashing the whole structure except for the basement and the attic.

• 2 years later...
On 8/3/2018 at 7:51 AM, Beesy said:

Hi, I am presently building Grosvenor Hall. kit. Has anyone built this one?  The main house has 12 rooms then you can buy the basement which has another  5 rooms including the kitchen and  which I have not got yet so am just working on the main part of the house, but because it is my first ever dollhouse build I have made some bad mistakes, like going ahead with gluing it together before applying any internal finishes wallpaper and moulding for starters,  so now have to add these things in a very tight space. I am certainly learning the hard way though, but still loving it all.

I am also building Grosvenor Hall, but after hours of reading up on building it, I found out its best to decorate all rooms before building, this I did by putting house together by using masking tape to hold it in situ, and marking with pencil lines on all partion walls onto the back wall, then numbering each room on walls / back and sides, up to now its going very well, it. does take up a lot of man hours with wall paper and painting. from Bernard Woods

Bernard, putting the house together with masking/ painters' tape first is what we call the "dry fit".  I do hope you'll post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum and let us know how you got into this addiction hobby.

I have the shell of mine completely built but am not happy with the  entrance. I don't like the fact that you have to remove the front piece before you can open the lower doors to the basement  so I am thinking of changing it by doing away with the entrance stairs.and making the basement the main entrance at ground level.I ,would then add another patio to the main part higher up so the doll folks could walk out.I have been looking at  it all day. I know what I want to do but would have to unglue some parts..ggrhh, so not sure if I will or not. I didn't do a dry fit, I should have as I would have found the problem earlier but it would not be very easy to fix now I think. If you are not gpoing to do the baement none of what I said would matter. I have also thought of somehow blending the basement with the main house by removing the house plinth.As you can see I am very unsure and really wished I had done that dryfit. Holly is so right. I have seen a picture of it done without the front piece, then the stairs were rerouted.I will try and find it.

Anyway, good luck, it is good to see someone doing this house it is very big, as tall as me almost so lots of work. Have you decided what outside finishes you are planning yet.

Keep in touch.

XX Jeannine