New Miniature!

Roxxie2

• 2 weeks later...

We have had disaster strike yet again!  The breeder of the Yorkie messaged me on Saturday and told me that she had to put both of the Yorkie puppies down because of a genetic issue with the pup's digestive tract.  We are once again devastated beyond words.   First we loose the poodle and now the Yorkie puppy.
I don't know if I can try another time.   The breeder was at least honest and she said that we could have the pick of the next litter by a different mother but who knows what will happen or when.  I just can't believe this whole thing!

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Oh, Roxy, I'm so sorry to hear this!  And I remember collie dogs from my childhood; it's hard to think there are no more.

Holly, I just researched some more and there are still some out there but they are known to have more genetic problems. My “Sable” was perfect.

• Like 1

I owned a Doberman and from what I can tell, many reputable (please note that word) Doberman breeders are concerned about the health problems in the breed and actively breeding to make sure they don't pass those problems on with their dogs. The breeders I would go to today to get a puppy have tested for everything you can imagine. During the time I owned my dog, there was a lot of talk then about the breed being so short lived. Believe me, the concern was real - Doberman breeders don't want their breed to be popular and they do want their breeds to be healthy.

One of the reasons I will go to a breeder for the next Dobe I own is because the breeder is concerned her dogs do not end up in kennels or the humane society. Of the two breeders I've selected, both of them require that you sign a contract stating, among other things, that the dog be returned back to them if the new owner would be unable to keep it.

For someone my age, that is very comforting. If something were to happen to me, I wouldn't want just anyone adopting my dog and maybe mistreating him. If he goes back to the breeder, that means he has an instant place of refuge and the breeder will keep him until another suitable home is found. That means a lot to me.

• Like 2

I just missed my big stinky dog when he passed away so thought I would get a small one.  I'm so isolated out here I get lonely.  I'll wait one more time.

We had a beautiful German Shepherd years ago.  They are just about disappeared also for the same reason.   I wonder if the Yorkie will go the same way from over breeding.  

Don't give up Roxy.  The loss and waiting is very hard but in the end well worth it.  We had German Shepherds for many years and after we lost the last one we decided no dogs for two years as we were going to be doing a lot of traveling where we would be gone 4-6 weeks at a time.  Also during this time we downsized to a smaller house with a much smaller yard so knew our next dog when the time came would be a small breed. I decided I had to have a West Highland Terrier (Westie) and it took a little over a year of waiting.  Would be given a date when a litter was due and then somewhere along the way something would go wrong and would have to start over again. I was a little stubborn about it as I had to have a female so that didn't help with the wait time.. But we finally got our little white bundle and she just turned 14 years old. Best dog ever! Even after all these years we still are blown away by how smart this breed is even after owning highly intelligent German Shepherds.  People ask how old she is and always say she looks like a puppy and I say she still acts like a puppy.  So happy, so much energy and excitement still all the time she runs circles around me.  She has no health issues except she has eaten prescription food since she was 4.  She will be our last dog so I hope she hangs in there for a long time yet. 

So sorry for your losses but wish you luck in finding the perfect little new member of your family.  DOGS ARE THE BEST!