Walllpaper warping after being on for over a year.

Ittybitty

The wallpaper on the walls of my dollhouse have started warping, and wrinkling after it has been on the wall for over a year. When I first applied it, it was smooth and dried smooth, now after a year or more it is warping. This dollhouse has been in my garage while I have been working on it, could the problem be from humidity? Can this be fixed, or do I have to take it off and replace it?

8 minutes ago, Ittybitty said:

The wallpaper on the walls of my dollhouse have started warping, and wrinkling after it has been on the wall for over a year. When I first applied it, it was smooth and dried smooth, now after a year or more it is warping. This dollhouse has been in my garage while I have been working on it, could the problem be from humidity? Can this be fixed, or do I have to take it off and replace it?

It could very well be humidity. If you can get it out of the humid garage. it will likely dry out and shrink back to a smooth surface. Don't do anything to it until you've given it a chance to dry on its own. 

What happens is that the paper soaks up the moisture in the air and swell up a bit, causing the raised areas. The glue on the back holds it tight in some areas, leading to the wrinkled appearance. Take heart! With patience and less humidity, the problem should cure itself.

• Like 1

I agree with KathieB. I’d give it several weeks inside to see if the problem corrects itself. If it doesn’t, and you decide to do anything major, as a last resort you might try ironing it like I did with the flooring when it bubbled in Monlight Retreat. I bought a mini iron and used it to “press” the floor. I used a small piece of parchment paper between the iron and the flooring. The heat from the iron melted the glue underneath the floor and it flattened back out. I did this very slowly, making small circular motions with the iron. 

Good luck with it. I know how frustrating it is when good plans go awry in minis (sadly from lots of experience...like with every build!) :) 

• Like 1

Thank you for the information. This is what I thought was going on, but this is my first project and didn't know for sure. I have been working on it off and on  for a long time, trying to do everything right, and studying the floor plan and making an addition and other changes.  I made sure I did a lot of research before applying the wallpaper, and did everything it said. This was upsetting when I saw what it was doing. I will try to get it in out of the humidity asap. Thanks again. 

Like Holly, I use real wallpaper paste. I make sure I have good coverage by applying it with a paintbrush and “booking” the paper for a few minutes. I live in very hot and humid Florida. My first house was completely decorated in a hot and humid garage. The paper held up just fine. Club members warned me about the potential for mold and mildew though. Now I decorate everything inside.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone for their information. This has helped me out a lot. I have been working on this house for several years, my husband and I are working on getting it moved in the house, out of the garage. I am very concerned this paper may not straighten out.  While looking closer at this wallpaper, I noticed that the paper in the kitchen is not warping. It is a very good grade of paper, but so is a couple of the other rooms that are warping. Making my head spin.:dunno:

47 minutes ago, Ittybitty said:

I am very concerned this paper may not straighten out. 

Give it some time. It will straighten out. It's hard to tell why one piece of paper is affected and another is not -- type of paper, type and/or thickness of ink, reaction to adhesive, and so on. But generally speaking, reducing the exposure to humidity will definitely affect the reaction of the paper.

• Like 1