Help! I need 1/2" scale hardware!

SallyG

I am hoping that someone may be able to help. I am searching high and low for 1/2" scale hardware....furniture pulls, knobs, etc. So far, there are the same Houseworks set of doorknob sets, which are fine. And I ordered a set of 1/2" scale knobs made by Housework. But that is all I can find. No lovely sets of .... well, anything...that you can easily find in 1/12 scale. I love working in 1/2" scale...since I no longer have the room for my big houses, and am working on a fantastic San Francisco Painted Lady...but I can't believe that someone does not produce hardware in 1/2" scale!! Does anyone know of any sources?

There's not a whole lot out there.  Most of us resort to pin heads, brads, staples (as filing cabinet drawer pulls), seed or micro beads, or chain links.  Mini-Etchers makes wood drawer pulls in half scale; they would need to be painted: https://www.minietchers.com/store/p461/Drawer_Pulls.html  There is some half-scale hardware (door knobs, hinges, hasp and lock) here:  http://www.virtualdollhouse.net/VDSTORE/Metal3.htm  You could also try using quarter scale door hardware for drawers or cabinets:  http://www.virtualdollhouse.net/VDSTORE/Metal3.htm  I would love to know if anyone has other sources or suggestions.

I repurpose a lot of 1:12 Scale items for use as 1:24. For example, 1:12 draw pulls make good 1:24 door knobs. I use tiny 1:12 furniture hinges as 1:24 door hinges. Tiny nails in 1:12 make good 1:24 drawer and cupboard pulls. You get the idea?

Also, I make a lot of my hardware using jewelry findings, crystal beads, various pin heads. I’ve used the metal from a champagne bottle neck wrap, flattened and then punched with a decorative hole punch to make door knob plates.

There are some Susan Russo brasses out there which give you additional pieces, but they are hard to find. I search eBay for that type of thing. Also AlphaStamp has added some new 1:24 items and I think they have the door hardware, but in colors other than brass. I tend to age or paint my brass when I want a change.

I also save knobs and other hardware pieces from old Chrysnbon kits. They can make interesting pulls. I’ve used the window pulls as door handles.

Lately I’ve been looking at the plastic “lock” on price tagged merchandise to see how that might me used as hardware too.

One of the things I love about half scale is the challenge and creativity it inspires.

• Like 2

In my DIY kit I'm working on, I have to make all of the hardware. It's half scale so everything is tiny. For drawer pulls, it usually has me cut up bead caps and flatten them then add a tiny bead for the pull. Handles are made by bending wire. Lamps are made by combining beads. It's all just a lot of that kind of stuff. I wonder if you could download the instruction book for one of them so you could see what they do to make all the bits and pieces.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I've got to get me one of those kits.  I've always been intrigued by them.  It sounds as though I'd learn a lot.  Never thought of cutting a bead cap and flattening it for hardware.

Last year, there was a table at in San Jose. I regret not looking closer.Are you going this year? I have always wanted to get a kit too.....I wonder if there are any Blogs out there by someone who has built one?

@fovdoes 1'/2 scale, she might know some sources for you all too.

19 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

Last year, there was a table at in San Jose. I regret not looking closer.Are you going this year?

I don't remember that.  I wish I had seen it.  I hope to go this year.  It's going to be tight with other commitments I have, but I'm going to try.

I often use cut down pins with seed beads for drawer pulls. I have also used jumprings cut in half for drawer pulls. For interior doorknobs, lately I have been using mini brads from Michaels. I've been thinking about cutting the heads of the brads in half to make cup pulls for kitchen cabinets.

victorianna232.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Last year, there was a table at in San Jose. I regret not looking closer.Are you going this year? I have always wanted to get a kit too.....I wonder if there are any Blogs out there by someone who has built one?

@fovdoes 1'/2 scale, she might know some sources for you all too.

Im building one now. I’ll start a gallery so you guys can see what it has me do.

• Like 3

Not sure, I haven't tried it yet! I'll probably try scissors or wire cutters stuck into a cup, so the pieces don't go flying across the room. If that doesn't work, maybe score it several times with a utility knife or razor blade and then bend along the line until it breaks. I'll give it a try soon and report back.

• Like 1

thanks everyone. I have used the pin and bead for years for little drawer pulls, and while they give a good effect, I can't believe no one has come up with some really nice half inch scale hardware. 

3 hours ago, fov said:

Not sure, I haven't tried it yet! I'll probably try scissors or wire cutters stuck into a cup, so the pieces don't go flying across the room. If that doesn't work, maybe score it several times with a utility knife or razor blade and then bend along the line until it breaks. I'll give it a try soon and report back.

Wire cutters work great, I like the cup idea. Then I rub any jagged edges against some sandpaper.

I tried cutting some mini brads yesterday and it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped. The wire cutters did work but they squish the brad toward the cut line, so by the time it's cut it's distorted on the straight edge and no longer has the cup shape. It might still create the illusion of a drawer pull though.

Oh but I just had another idea - use a hole punch on a piece of thin metal or tinfoil, and then cut the circle in half and cup it by rolling it over a dowel or skewer? The standard size hole punch might be too big for half scale.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fov said:

Oh but I just had another idea - use a hole punch on a piece of thin metal or tinfoil, and then cut the circle in half and cup it by rolling it over a dowel or skewer? The standard size hole punch might be too big for half scale.

Great idea! I think I'd fold the foil circle in half, not cut it, to add strength. Punches come in a variety of sizes.

I was afraid whatever you used to cut the brad cap would squish it.  Folding the foil punch out seems a much better idea.  I don't see any way around making 1:24 hardware; there's just not much out there in either scale.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried the hole punch cup pulls yet, but here are some pulls I just made from jump rings cut in half. A 2mm x 1mm crimp bead on each side provides stability. I used these same jump rings on a kitchen a few years ago but didn't have the crimp beads, and they were very wiggly since the glue didn't have much to grab on to. My original idea had been to use seed beads, but the holes were too small.

victorianna1255.jpg

victorianna1277.jpg

These drawers don't open. For opening drawers I think you'd need to drill holes for the ends of the jump ring, rather than glue (and in that case the crimp tubes might not be needed since the holes will provide stability, as long as it's a snug fit).

• Like 1