Chrome finish nail polish ... wow!

KathieB

Getting a believable shiny chrome finish on miniatures is a challenge ... this may be the answer

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/high-shine-nails-glisten-move-them-080306879--abc-news-fashion-and-beauty.html

Anybody know where this can be purchased?

Edit: Whatsupnails.com

• Like 1

There are quite a few distributors. You may have to look around a bit because sometimes they only sell to nail techs. OPI has a line though. The powders are definitely the way to go to get that shiny chrome finish. They've been all over all the nail art videos I watch all the time :D

https://www.opi.com/nail-products/chrome-powders#pJ3PCcGmijll44AV.97

ETA: I also found this on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/PrettyDiva-Silver-Chrome-Manicure-Pigments/dp/B01LPJSU38/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1534506566&sr=1-6&keywords=chrome+powder

One tip, if any of you do this: Use a foam eyeshadow applicator to apply the powder. The buffing really makes a huge difference and those little eyeshadow applicators are the perfect thing. That's how nail techs get that insane shine.

I'm not sure I understand how you apply it? I'm not a nail person but my daughter sure is and she'd love this! Do you paint gel on and then put the powder on top of that while the gel is still wet?

The first link you posted, Kathy, has this image on the right side of the page. The marble effect could be used in so many ways.

7ae28943308f.jpg

Actually, you put the gel layer on, zap it in the lamp then take it out and rub the powder into it. I think you don't remove the sticky layer. The powder adheres to that. The more you buff, the shinier it gets. It's really amazing stuff.

There is a How To tab on the Whatupnails website. It can be used with gel or regular nail polish.

In addition to the marbling effect, there are beaucoup finishes that we could use. I'm not into fancy manicures or even basic nail polish most of the time, so this is a whole new world to me. 

Peel off base coat? That's brilliant. My daughter could sure use some of that!

So, is the gel still sticky after it's taken out from under the lamp? And that's how you get the powder to stick? I think I get it. lol. It helps that i just watched an hour of YouTube nail videos.

Thanks, Kathy. Doors have been opened for me. :)

If the gel stays sticky after applying the powder & buffing it into that shine,  how do you  keep the mini you use it on from collecting dust and other "stuff" (thinking here of some of the issues of using Mod Podge and some of the solid water products)?  I think I'd opt for the chrome nail polish.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If the gel stays sticky after applying the powder & buffing it into that shine,  how do you  keep the mini you use it on from collecting dust and other "stuff" (thinking here of some of the issues of using Mod Podge and some of the solid water products)?  I think I'd opt for the chrome nail polish.

The gel does not stay sticky, It cures under a light and, I believe, generally has a slick-finish top coat. Think about it --- who'd want sticky fingernails?

I have gel on my nails now it is based on curing it under a light . It's very durable it lasts around 2 weeks for me max . it can last longer for some people 

I don't think the light will fit many things in it .

here is a no light gel by Sally Hansen the do have a few grays but no silver and a white 

Alie express has a Crome polish no light (a base and topcoat kit)

Essie has a stainless steel metal polish - (thinking this is a good one to try)