Troweled stucco technique

Lita

I’ve seen a few posts on stucco finishes, but I was wondering if someone would share their technique for a troweled finish. My husband and I were in a Mexican restaurant last night and saw this cool finish that I would love to try to duplicate. Also curious about how well it would show up in miniature.

72A31972-9083-4E75-8312-24F168969BAA.jpeg

An old plastic gift card ......The flexibility of the plastic makes it easier to spread. When the mud becomes drier but not set, you can go back and "knock down" ant peaks that would potentially scrape your residents.

Google real life plaster application or adobe applications......

Afterwards, paint it using the base color. Then use a color that is darker and one that is lighter and dry brush it. It will give it definition and dimension that will show up in miniature.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

I use a flexible artist's palette knife, the handle makes it easier to control the spackle application.

I use a palette knife, too. The blade is more flexible than a credit card and the handle makes it definitely easier to control.

• Like 2

I just got done with my first stucco ever on my Greenleaf Chantilly.  I used Dap DryDex lightweight low dust Joint compound from Lowes.  Its starts off pink then when dry it is white.  I used a plastic artist palette knife that came in a bag of brushes from Hobby Lobby.  I put it on and work on evenly covering the area....not to thick but not too thin either.  Once I see that it is starting to look wet and droop ,  I work in the texture.  In other words, give it time to stiffen a little so you can add more texture. Let it dry for over 24 hours before painting.  I sponged antique white and used a darker khaki color to get the texture to stand out.  Hope this helps. It was really fun to do too! 

012.JPG

• Like 3