Pennsylvania colonial house

grazhina

The first floor has been completed, except for the front door which I'm still working on, so I'm posting pictures. The first one includes the casement window. By rights, it should have been a double hung window. From what I've read, double hung windows were introduced into the Colonies around 1700 and people started replacing their old lattice and casement windows with them very quickly. In my mind, though, I imagined the house with a casement window, so that's what I put in.  I tried to add a picture of the floorboards, but the system said no-no-no, so I guess I'll see if I can add it to the gallery. I really like the way the floor came out.

IMG_2611.JPG

• Like 2

Very Beautiful Grazhina. I am doing a colonial house as well. I love your walk-in fire place and flooring, and your interior plaster/stucco is spot on. What color stain did you use for the floor?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8144

WOW! I LOVE IT. I have been so interested in a colonial house in the past years. I love what you are building! I am not talented enough to build, so I've been eyeing this 1:48 kit from Betterley: https://www.robinbetterley.com/collections/cranberry-cottage/products/cranberry-cottage-house-1st-cutting I am loving the oilcloth floor detail.

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Very Beautiful Grazhina. I am doing a colonial house as well. I love your walk-in fire place and flooring, and your interior plaster/stucco is spot on. What color stain did you use for the floor?

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=8144

Thank you, Carrie. First I used Minwax cherry stain, but the color didn't come out rich enough. I also had some Minwax dark walnut, so then I mixed a little of the dark walnut into some of the cherry and gave the floor a second coat. I like to brush on the stain on the generous side, let it set a minute or so, then wipe off till I get the shade I want.

Thank you also, Tracy and Jenn. Jenn, I've done 1:12 oilcloths. I used some primed canvas I got from an art supply store.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grazhina said:

First I used Minwax cherry stain, but the color didn't come out rich enough. 

I had the same problem with the Minwax cherry stain.  I love cherry finishes so I was rather disappointed.  Perhaps I will try mixing like you did because your floor turned out great, both color and aging effect. 

19 hours ago, grazhina said:

The first floor has been completed, except for the front door which I'm still working on, so I'm posting pictures. The first one includes the casement window. By rights, it should have been a double hung window. From what I've read, double hung windows were introduced into the Colonies around 1700 and people started replacing their old lattice and casement windows with them very quickly. In my mind, though, I imagined the house with a casement window, so that's what I put in.  I tried to add a picture of the floorboards, but the system said no-no-no, so I guess I'll see if I can add it to the gallery. I really like the way the floor came out.

IMG_2611.JPG

What are you using to make your thick walls ? I love them. And the floor is perfect.

16 hours ago, Keifer said:

I had the same problem with the Minwax cherry stain.  I love cherry finishes so I was rather disappointed.  Perhaps I will try mixing like you did because your floor turned out great, both color and aging effect. 

Thanks, Keifer. I love cherry finishes too, I selected a rosewood stain for the interior doors and oak floors of my RL house and they blend well with my cherry kitchen cabinets.

3 hours ago, NellBell said:

What are you using to make your thick walls ? I love them. And the floor is perfect.

Thank you, Nell. The walls are 1" thick builders foam. 

I'm working on one of the brick gables and just finished the exterior side of the loft door. I'm really pleased with the way the hardware came out on both doors. The locking mechanism on the front door and the hinges on both doors were made using clock hands.

front door.JPG

loft door.JPG

• Like 1

On 8/21/2018, 3:24:47, grazhina said:

Thanks. Kelly, glad you like it even though the floor is a cherry stain blend.:wave:

OK, now see I'm used to "cherry" being that bright shiny red color Bespaq does on their furniture. I really don't like that at all. But your floor is much nicer than that - it has a warmth to it that I like. If that's really what cherry stain looks like, I might have to rethink using it.

Kelly, I used the MinWax Cherry stain straight from the can on this tester bed:

the finished interior:  the master suite

If you mix it with a little walnut stain, like Grazhe did for her floor, you see the difference.  Some of the really cheap/ $1 furniture from China lately looks like it was stained with cherry or strawberry Kool-Ade.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

So is it still a nonworking door?  LOVE those hinges & lock!

Yep, Holly. I had to carefully glue some thin strips of wood to make the front door nonworking. The loft door was faux from the start.

2 hours ago, rodentraiser said:

OK, now see I'm used to "cherry" being that bright shiny red color Bespaq does on their furniture. I really don't like that at all. But your floor is much nicer than that - it has a warmth to it that I like. If that's really what cherry stain looks like, I might have to rethink using it.

Kelly, I've often used cherry stain straight from the can on my dh floors.