Hand Rail

Mineejv

I’m having a hard time getting the right angle on my stairs hand rail. I’ve cut it at a 45 but it doesn’t seem to fit good. I’ve cut it at a 30 degree angle ,that didn’t work.  I don’t know how to measure to get the angle (angles) that you would use on something. I have just enough to finish up the stairs rails, I’m not ready to order online right now. I’m trying not to use it all up getting the angle I need.

I am no help at this, and asked my husband to help me when I did mine      We/He eyeballed it like a dry fit. The cut was actually steeper than I thought it would be....but I found this online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_r2n8Mf8YY

There are several more how to videos etc....I didn't do a deep search.

• Like 1

I take a sheet of used copy paper and lay it against the staircase with one edge even with the floor and move it until I can press the top of the paper along the edge or the steps with my finger and fold along those marks to the lower corner,  I use this to mark the angle to cut for the ends of the banister/s.  It's similar to the way I get the angles to cut shingles for where gables & dormers join the main roof.

I’m going to try it that way......  I’ve cut a 45- 40 35 30 degrees I need it to go the other way ( if that’s possible) it’s for the Pierce’s that has 4 different size railings. I have one cut right (I hope,it’s not glued yet) that i cut at a 45. I’m thinking I need to do it another day !

1 hour ago, Mineejv said:

I’m thinking I need to do it another day !

Actually, that's a very good plan. Sometimes stepping away from a challenge for a day or so can make all the difference.