glossy wallpaper

donajlp

I just ordered wallpaper from itsy bitsy and although I am a newbie to all this (this is only my 3rd order of wallpaper) I was distressed to see the wallpaper sent me was glossy when this was not mentioned in the ad.  I don't know if it was just my particular sample or if it's all the paper that comes from itsy bitsy? I am wondering if someone copied their pattern or someone took a photo and then developed?? Can you seasoned people out there comment on this?  They have some cute patterns, but I am really afraid to try them again.

And while I am on my comment: after spending hours scraping off old wallpaper (I am rehabbing a dollhouse given to me), I am wondering the best way to hang wallpaper in these tiny houses so the person following me doesn't curse me with every scrape. I have heard every thing from rubber cement to putting on cardboard, and adding that to walls.  All you veterans out there, before my first sheet goes up, any suggestions?

I too dislike the paper they use at Itsy Bitsy - it feels like photo paper and not wallpaper. Some of mine even seems like it will fold with a crack/crease instead of wrap around corners.  I prefer Broadnax papers.

I am no veteran on wallpaper - but if you want to prevent someone from cursing you as they scrape paper off (as anyone who gets my houses will since I used YES paste - which I love, but it is not going to come off easily) then the thin card walls with double sided-taped to the walls seems like it would be easy to remove. I however am the sort of person who papers over something if I dislike it, or I just keep whatever is there. I'm too lazy to scrape. In my own real house someone painted over the wallpaper. lol.

• Like 1

The Itsy Bitsy paper does have a bit of a sheen to it. I didn't like it at first, but I've now used it several times and it's grown on me. I actually got some older papers of theirs that were matte and didn't like them as much, get a little bit of glue or water on the paper and it shows, as opposed to on the glossier paper where you can wipe it off.

• Like 1

I think it is shiny because of the type of inks on a super smooth paper surface. I like the papers from Itsy Bitsy.

I can’t help you with applying it. I just glue it to the walls as I am too lazy to make card templates and would have no dea now to get a neat finish.

I used Yes paste to wallpaper my current project then had to remove the first floor's worth because it was so thick I couldn't locate the tapewire with my test probe...The prongs wouldn't penetrate! So it was not fun to remove but it did come off. I since read that Yes should be diluted a little with warm water but I haven't confirmed that is a good idea.

I have used Mucilage in the past which is a bit looser and will probably go with that this time.

After removing all that wallpaper, the tapewire was exactly where it was supposed to be and was working just fine!

• Like 2

A BIG THANKS to all of your reply's. I did not think about the pros of the glossy paper, I was concerned it was a Knock off for one, and second how it would "show" seeing I have never had glossy paper in my own home and this is my first miniature home.  And I do appreciate the comments and suggestions on the application for wallpaper too.  I am leaning towards card stock right now only because I think I may be able to get a smoother finish if I can deal with it on the outside of the house, but I am not there yet and probably will change my mind thirty more times before install time. I just put the stone work up on the front foundation, and I am quite proud of how it's starting to look from start to now. (still have a super long way to go!) Again, super great source for answers and questions, I have been here many times looking around already and love everyone's work.  Dona

Edited by donajlp

The Itsy Bitsy paper is heavy so you get a relatively smooth finish just by applying it to the wall. The only time I've had a problem with it was trying to apply it over round wire (I hadn't cut a groove for the wire, and I should have). In that case, applying it to card stock and gluing that in over the wire worked well.

Here's a dollhouse of mine that has the "glossy" Itsy Bitsy paper in several rooms: http://www.emilymorganti.com/blog/?p=13554 (scroll down to the bottom of the post)

The staircase rooms, office, living room, and kitchen tile and damask are all Itsy Bitsy paper. The only time I notice the sheen is sometimes in a photo when the flash goes off. In person it's not obvious at all.

Dona, you can smooth your walls by applying a very thin coat of joint compound or spackle over the primed wall and sanding it smooth after it's dry; wipe up the dust with a damp rag and when it's dry again your wall is smooth and ready to paint or paper.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Just a note for those that don't already know.    

The BEST use for a credit card........spreading a thin layer of paste, glue, or what ever.  They work great and you can get into corners.   Credit cards can be cut to size for tiny areas. 

Also for applying spackle or joint compound.

• Like 1