What is the best way to strip the varnish from old miniatures?

EmilyCraig

Hi all:) I have quite a few pieces of vintage dollhouse furniture I’d like to refinish, but first I need to remove the old varnishes and stain. I tried swabbing some items with acetone nail polish remover, it worked somewhat- not as well on pieces that had layers of thick varnish or a heavy dark stain. I have used sandpaper , but it’s very difficult to get into the cracks and crevices of tiny turnings or carved detail.  Both methods were messy and a bit time consuming, with okay results. I keep thinking there has to be a better way! Any suggestions?

When I was refinishing the $Tree el cheapo furniture to make it look nicer I had really good luck with a stripper that was an orange goo (it also smelled citrussy) I had to wear rubber gloves with and use it outside and toss the rag & gloves after I finished, but it took off all that yucky reddish-orange gunk.  I used an old flathead screwdriver to get into the tight places.  I wouldn't use it on real vintage wooden dollhouse furniture, though, or even refinish it, unless the original finish was terrible.

• Like 1

I looked it up on Amazon- it’s called Citristrip:). When you used it, did it also strip away any of the glue joints? That was what happened when I tried acetone- 

I know exactly the furniture you’re talking about- bright orange and absolutely coated in glossy varnish! A lot of the pieces I want to refinish are like that- probably the same manufacturer.  The only thing that makes them vintage is that they are more than 20 years old- but still el-cheapo!  A lot of those pieces have nice lines and were well designed - it’s the manufacturing that’s so sloppy- like they were finished on a conveyor belt -

if I can strip away all the varnish and ugly stain, they could be really cool! I went ahead and ordered a small size bottle of citristrip to try it out- thanks for the suggestion!